Friend is latest to link Schaffer to Mallove murder

The day after the mother of his children implicated Chad M. Schaffer in the 2004 murder of Eugene Mallove, one of his closest friends admitted on the witness stand that after keeping quiet about the crime for five years, he cooperated with police, going as far as wearing a wire.

Schaffer, 34, is on trial in Superior Court in Norwich for felony murder, conspiracy to commit murder, accessory to murder and third-degree robbery.

Keishon Dullivan, a 34-year-old Hartford native who said he grew up in a housing project infested with drugs and violence, avoided looking at Schaffer during most of his testimony Thursday. But when prosecutor Thomas DeLillo's line of questioning touched on Dullivan's motive for implicating Schaffer, Dullivan raised his voice and turned toward the defense table.

"There's a law called withholding evidence and withholding information about a murder," Dullivan said. "I'm not going to prison for anybody."

Dullivan said the police pressured him to cooperate, hinting that he helped clean up after the beating death of Mallove, a well-regarded scientist from New Hampshire, at Mallove's childhood home on 119 Salem Turnpike on May 14, 2004.

On Wednesday, Candace L. Foster, 32, the mother of two of Schaffer's kids, testified that Schaffer forced her to take part in the crime and cover-up.

On Thursday, it was Dullivan, who once liked to play video games and smoke marijuana with Schaffer, who was providing details that could land Schaffer in prison for decades.

Dullivan and his girlfriend Jill Sebastian were living at a Chestnut Street apartment in Norwich with Schaffer and Foster when Mallove was killed but spent that night at Dullivan's mother's home in East Hartford.

While watching a TV news broadcast about the crime the next day, Schaffer got angry and said the police, who had questioned him that morning, lied when they told him Mallove was not dead, Dullivan testified. Schaffer got up and left the room, he said.

Dullivan testified that he confronted Schaffer in his bedroom and started asking questions. He said it was "plain as day" that Schaffer was involved, and he wanted to make sure his friend had taken steps to "clean it up."

"He said, 'I'm straight,''' Dullivan testified. "He was like, 'Yo, we robbed him (Mallove).'"

Dullivan said Schaffer told him he and his cousin Mozzelle Brown went to the Mallove property, from which Schaffer's parents had recently been evicted, after Schaffer's mother, Patricia Anderson, told him the landlord was at the house throwing out her possessions. Dullivan said the mother's belongings were not the main concern. He said Brown had "work," or crack cocaine, stashed at the house.

"(Schaffer) said he got in an argument with the gentleman," Dullivan testified. "The gentleman called him a racial slur and he beat the (expletive) out of him."

Dullivan said he saw the bloody Denver Nuggets jersey that he had given Schaffer and a box containing a large pair of shoes and camera that had been stolen from Mallove. As time went on, he said, the box "was traveling all over the house," and Dullivan asked Schaffer, "You ain't got rid of that stuff?"

When two other men were charged with killing Mallove, Dullivan said Schaffer had a "look of relief."

Dullivan said Brown came to their apartment one night, started throwing air punches and air kicks and used a well-known acronym to describe how they had beaten Mallove "beyond recognition."

Dullivan and Sebastian moved out about two weeks later. About six months later, Dullivan said they visited Schaffer and Foster at their home in Norwichtown and Schaffer threw the box from the crime into the fire.

"He was disposing of the stuff I told him to dispose of," Dullivan testified.

In 2009, when police reopened the case and announced they were offering a reward for information, Sebastian went to police without his knowledge, Dullivan testified. Though he isn't "cut from the cloth of telling on people," Dullivan said he had to talk to save himself.

Sebastian was getting scared, he said, and they decided to enter the witness protection program in which the state relocated them and provided about $120 a week for groceries. Dullivan said he needed to keep his family safe and wore a wire in an effort to get Schaffer to confess.

"I needed it to be over," Dullivan said. "This was going on too long."

But by then, Dullivan said, Schaffer knew something was up.

Dullivan said he was not interested in collecting a reward for his cooperation.

"I didn't do this for a reward," he said.


Loading comments...
Hide Comments