H.S. track roundup: Guillemette, Lewerk help NFA boys stay unbeaten
Norwich - Chase Guillemette won the 110-meter hurdles (16.0 seconds) and the 300 hurdles (42.3) and Martin Lewerk the long jump (20 feet) and triple jump (37-6) as the Norwich Free Academy boys' track team defeated East Lyme 107-43 Tuesday.
NFA remained unbeaten at 6-0 overall, 4-0 in the Eastern Connecticut Conference Large Division heading into next week's matchup with Fitch, also undefeated pending today's Large Division meet with Woodstock Academy.
Lewerk also joined the winning 4x100 relay team for the Wildcats, running with Allen Gates, Joe Trahan and Xavier Dunn. The team finished in 44.6 seconds. Andrew Weiler won the 800 and ran on the winning 4x800 and 4x400 teams.
"Going against East Lyme is always a good measure of as a team where are we?" NFA coach Jemal Davis said. "Fitch is really talented this year, as always, but for some reason this year they hit us in spots where we're not that strong.
"They have the ability to go 8-1, 9-0 (in points) in some of the field events."
Ben Shaw (high jump), Kevin Foster (javelin) and Tim Farina (discus) won events for East Lyme (4-2, 2-2).
In other meets:
• Spencer Dimock won the shot put (45-4) and discus (116-4), leading Bacon Academy past New London 116-34 in the ECC Large.
Ryan Donahue took first in the 100 hurdles (18.9) and 300 hurdles (44.6) while Chadd Ferro (400, 52.5), Jack Kennedy (200, 23.4), Nate Baldi (800, 2:08), Tyler Miglioccio (triple jump, 35-1) and Parker Dimock (javelin, 124-2.5) won their events for the Bobcats (3-2, 2-2).
Orrin Parke won the 100 (11.4) and Nico Ramos took first in the high jump (5-4) for New London (3-5, 0-4).
• Corey Coates was a double winner, placing first in the 800 (2:08) and 1,600 (4:50) in Ledyard's 100-50 win over Killingly in the ECC Medium.
Anthony Saccone won the triple jump (38-3), Kyle Wilson took the shot put (43-4) and Greg Knight won the discus (126-3.5) for the Colonels (3-2, 3-0).
• Lyman Memorial swept the high jump, long jump, 800, 200 and 100 in an 83-57 win over Stonington in an ECC Small Division meet.
Aubrey Coutu finished first in the 100 (13.8) and Lindsey Moon won 800 (2:48) for the Bulldogs (3-4, 2-2) while Cailin Wadja won the 200 (29.7), Kyia Barnett won the long jump (11-1.75) and Emily Peay took first in the high jump (4-6).
Stonington's 4x800 team of Stephanie Stearns, Selena Perry, Molly Crowley and Antonia Reynolds took first in 11:13.
Sophie Moore won the 100 hurdles (18.0) and 300 hurdles (51.2) while Christina Connor won the shot put (27-8) and discus (92-0.25) for the Bears (1-4, 1-2).
• Charisse Townsend won the javelin (96.8.5), discus (97-4) and shot put (30-9) and Brittany O'Meara placed first in the 1600 (6:14) to pace Bacon Academy past New London 101-55 in the ECC Large.
Alicia Szostak won the 800 (2:37) and joined O'Meara, Brittany Noonan and Kate Brice on the winning 4x800 team while Meg Klien won the 100 hurdles (18.4) and A.J. Weinberger won the pole vault (9-6), for the Bobcats (4-1, 3-1).
Francine Jacque won the 100 (13.07) and 400 while Jessica Forts took first in the 200 (27.13) and Mercedes Santos won the long jump (15-1.5) for New London (3-5, 0-4).
• Kylie Fustini won the discus (110-4), shot put (32-4) and high jump (4-8), leading Ledyard past Killingly 104-46 in the ECC Medium.
Chenoa Sebastian took first in the 100 (13.5) and 100 hurdles (16.1) while Brooke Scahill won the 300 hurdles (55.4) and Cedar Nelson placed first in the 3,200 (12:12) for the Colonels (5-0, 3-0).