New London Democrats vote to support budget
New London – The city's Democratic Town Committee voted Tuesday to support the city's $42.3 million budget, which will go to a referendum vote Sept. 18.
Committee Chairman Bill Satti said the voice vote of the more than 50 attending members was "overwhelmingly" yes in favor of the general-government budget proposal.
"The Democratic Party in New London recognizes the difficult work that the Democratic Administration and City Council did to lessen the impact of our fiscal needs on city taxpayers," Satti said in a press release. "The Democratic Party stands firmly behind this budget."
Mayor Daryl Justin Finizio will hold 12 more forums to discuss the budget, which represents a 7.5 percent increase, with taxpayers. The first was held last week and a second on Tuesday.
In June, the City Council approved an $82.1 million budget, less than half a percent increase over the 2011-12 budget of $81.9 million. The 2012-13 spending plan includes $39.8 million for education and $42.3 million in general-government spending, a 0.66 percent increase.
But because the cost to taxpayers of covering the budget is a 7.5 percent tax hike, the tax rate would go from 25.31 mills to 27.22 mills.
Residents petitioned for a budget referendum on the general-government side of the budget. The school budget is not part of the referendum vote.
"In this difficult budget year, the fact that our diverse Democratic Town Committee voted nearly unanimously to support the city budget is a very telling sign that a community consensus is developing behind supporting this budget and moving our city forward," Finizio said in Tuesday's release.
Stories that may interest you
Endre "Andy" Sarkany will give a talk from 6 to 7:30 p.m. on Tuesday, Feb. 4, at campus auditorium, 1084 Shennecossett Road. The event is free and open to the public.
Sewer upgrade work at the junction of routes 2 and 12, Laurel Hill Avenue, Summer Street and New Wharf Road will take place throughout the day Wednesday.
A 61-year-old Norwich man appeared in New London Superior Court Monday on charges he sexually touched a 12-year-old girl in 2015.
Lt. Gov. Susan Bysiewicz, leading the state’s census awareness campaign, will visit the city on Wednesday.