H.S. Soccer Roundup: Waterford boys beat Ledyard 3-1
Ledyard - Brett Pias converted a penalty kick early in the second half to break a 1-1 tie, leading Waterford past Ledyard, 3-1, in high school boys' soccer action Wednesday night.
The Lancers improved to 3-0.
Aaron Schwartz scored off a direct kick from 25 yards out to give Waterford a 1-0 lead at the 14:30 mark.
Ledyard tied the game before half as Kevin McCarthy set up Alex Patterson's goal.
Pias scored the go-ahead goal at the 52:10 mark and Jayse Tyropolis added an insurance goal at 72:45 for the Lancers. Goalie Elliot Diana made five saves.
The Colonels fell to 1-1.
In other games:
• George Logan had two goals and two assists in Old Lyme's 6-1 win over Haddam-Killingworth in the Shoreline Conference. Rob Poirier, Jabez Crook, Nate Teduzzi and Travis Russell each had one goal for the Wildcats (1-1-1).
• Jeff Tryon scored a goal and had two assists as Montville beat Fitch 3-0 in a nonleague game. Nick Strecker and Josh Handler also scored goals and Matt Staehle had an assist for Montville (2-0). Fitch is 1-2.
• Connor Callaghan scored two goals while Peter Hebbel, Jeff Lemmon and Lucas Johnson each had a goal in East Lyme's 5-0 win over Windham. Demetris Ghirardi and Griffin Woods each had two assists while goalie Tarun Prashanth and Zack Kosakowski combined to make five saves for the Vikings (2-0).
• Alyson Clark had a goal and two assists, leading Fitch to a 3-1 win over Montville in a nonleague game. Christina Szczesny and Beth Wallace also scored and Nicole Sexton made seven saves for Fitch (2-0). Abby McAdams scored and Megan Autencio made 26 saves for Montville (1-1).
• Emily Becher's second goal of the game broke a 1-1 tie in the second half, as Woodstock Academy beat Stonington 3-1. Amanda Thomas set up Sarah Thomas for the only goal for the Bears (3-1) and Gabi Hoops had four saves.
• Meredith Moore scored two goals and Kristen Walter added one in East Lyme 3-0 win over Windham. Megan Holt had two assists and goalie Allison Stoddard had one saves for the Vikings (3-0).
• St. Bernard and Griswold battled to a 3-3 double overtime tie in the Eastern Connecticut Conference Small Division. Ali Regan had two goals and an assist while Ali Patterson also scored and Mackenzie Nagy had an assist for the Saints (1-1-1, 1-0-1).
• Old Lyme defeated Old Saybrook, 2-0, receiving goals from Hannah O'Brien and Sloane Sweiter in the Shoreline Conference game. Meredith Aird had an assist and goalie Tori Sims made two saves to earn the shutout for the Wildcats (2-1, 1-1).
• Ambar Rivera scored Grasso Tech's only goal in an 8-1 loss to Putnam. Goalie Tonia Johnson had 23 saves for the Eagles (1-2).
MOST VIEWED MEDIA
MOST DISCUSSED STORIES