H.S. Soccer Roundup: NFA boys rally to tie Waterford 2-2
Waterford - The Norwich Free Academy boys' soccer team battled back from a 2-0 deficit to tie Waterford 2-2 Wednesday night in an Eastern Connecticut Conference Large Division game.
Waterford (9-2-1, 4-2-1) led at halftime on goals by Michael Spanos and Max Wolfley. Camden Levine made it 2-1 in the 71st minute and NFA's Mason Rivera tied the game with 1:20 left in the second half. Two 10-minute overtime period couldn't break the tie.
NFA (6-2-2, 4-2-1) outshot Waterford 27-17 and Carl Chancy made 12 saves for NFA. Yianni Longinidis and Aaron Schwartz had assists for Waterford and Elliot Diana made 19 saves.
In other games:
• Jeff Tryon scored three goals and had two assists as Montville beat Lyman Memorial 7-2 in an ECC Medium Division game. Josh Handler had a goal and two assists and Dan Pierce and Connor Leeman had a goal and an assist each. Nick Strecker also scored for Montville (12-0, 8-0).
• Anthony Saccone converted a penalty kick just 56 seconds into the match and Ledyard went on to defeat New London 6-1 in the ECC Medium Division. Alex Patterson scored a pair of goals for the Colonels (11-2, 7-1) while Christof Wegiel had a goal and two assists and Saccone and Ben Bruciati each had one goal and one assist. Rafayel Wassef, assisted by Xavier Veliz, scored for the Whalers (0-11-1, 0-7-1).
• John Mulhern scored two goals as Wheeler beat Tourtellotte 4-0 in an ECC Small Division game. T.J. Condon had a goal and an assist, Andrew Swift had a goal and Jacob Sylvestre made three saves for Wheeler (6-5-1, 4-3-1).
• Jeremiah Northcutt scored off a corner kick in the 25th minute, lifting East Lyme to a 1-0 win over Woodstock Academy in an ECC Large Division game. Nico Francone had the assist and Tarun Prashanth and Zach Kosakowski combined for eight saves for East Lyme (5-6-2, 2-5-1).
• Windham took a 2-0 lead and held on to beat Stonington 3-1 in an ECC Medium Division game. Zac Goldberg scored, Jake DeLatt had the assist and Steven Zelepos made 10 saves for Stonington (3-10, 2-6).
• Killingly rallied for a pair of second-half goals to defeat St. Bernard 2-1 and win the ECC Small Division. The Saints (2-10-1, 2-5-1) had taken a 1-0 lead in the first half on a goal by Gavin Jones (Victor Dia assisted). Goalie Kevin Kersay stopped 12 shots for St. Bernard.
• Norwich Tech lost to Ellis Tech 6-0 in a CSC East Division game. Evan LePage made 15 saves for Norwich Tech (0-13).
• Travis Russell scored two goals as Old Lyme defeated Portland, 7-1, in the Shoreline Conference. Jabez Crook also had two goals for the Wildcats (7-4-1, 7-4-1).
• Sami Ahmed and Gui Shapiro scored three goals apiece as St. Thomas More defeated Putnam Science Academy 6-2. Goalie Steven Greenslade made five saves for T-More (5-4-1).
MOST VIEWED MEDIA
MOST DISCUSSED STORIES