Power restoration turns microwave back on, causes fire

Stonington — The restoration of power to the Brookside Village housing complex on Route 1 Friday night resulted in a smoky fire caused by a microwave oven that started up again and continued cooking two casseroles that had been baking inside when power went out during Monday’s hurricane, Pawcatuck Fire Chief Tom Long said.

No one was in the apartment unit at the time of the fire, around 7:35 p.m., and there were no injuries, save for a few residents from nearby apartments who felt ill from the smoke. Westerly Ambulance personnel attended to those residents at the scene.

There was no structural damage to the unit, and Pawcatuck firefighters cleared the smoke from the complex.

Smoke quickly filled the unit and was visible from the outside when firefighters arrived, Long said.


Loading comments...
Hide Comments