Animals briefly evacuated from veterinary hospital
Ledyard - Cats and dogs at the Gales Ferry Animal Hospital were briefly evacuated as Gales Ferry firefighters investigated a report of smoke in the building.
Fire Chief Tony Saccone said when firefighters arrived there was no smoke but a strong odor in the building. Employees had reported that alarms were going off.
Saccone said the odor was caused by a furnace malfunction.
The animals were relocated to a side room on the right side of the building. The hospital's doctor declined comment, but employees said all the animals were fine, including one that was in the process of being spayed.
The call was reported at 9:59 a.m. and at about 10:35 a.m. the animals - a half-dozen cats in crates and several dogs were allowed to reenter the building.
In addition to Gales Ferry, Ledyard Animal Control, Ledyard and Submarine Base fire departments also responded.
Stories that may interest you
Police are investigating a two-vehicle crash Saturday morning that led to Life Star helicopter transporting a seriously injured motorcyclist to the hospital.
Arrests by state police and local departments around the region.
Two years, four attorneys and one state agency later, a bulldog accused of an April 2017 attack has landed a less controversial muzzle order.
NFA Campus Safety Director Kevin Rodino applied Friday for accelerated rehabilitation, which, if granted, would lead to dismissal of criminal charges against him.