Mr. I has a few leftovers to deliver
Idle Thoughts, while waiting for the ACC to call Storrs, Al Michaels to call Packers-Giants and for the Washington Mystics to call Mike Thibault:
• Mr. Idle, Mr. I to his close friends, no longer wonders why the rest of Connecticut makes fun of ECC football.
From The Day's intrepid Ned Griffen, guru of high school football in Connecticut, a sampling of opponents' records this season:
This isn't going to change until St. Bernard/Norwich Tech and Woodstock either figure it out or disband their programs.
Let Mr. I just say that "B" might be the best option at the moment.
• So Mr. I had already hung up on the conference call Tuesday - couldn't listen to it anymore - during which Connecticut Sun poohbahs explained their decision to fire Mike Thibault.
That's when vice president and general manager Chris Sienko actually said this:
"I don't think anyone can expect anyone to come in and ultimately win a championship their first year, but it can happen."
So you fire Thibault because he didn't win a championship … and the new coach won't be immediately expected to win a championship?
That's an insult to the players and the fans.
That's an insult to Thibault.
Sort of calls for an apology - or at least a clarification - does it not?
• As usual, Mr. I's inbox has been flooded with fictitious marriages.
This almost-marriage was inspired by correspondent (and SCSU professor) Joe Panza of Old Lyme:
If U.S. presidential candidate Virgil Goode opened a law firm with Alonzo Mourning, former Mets manager Art Howe, Blue Jays outfielder Anthony Gose and former Westminster University women's basketball player Courtney Zitt, the receptionist would always answer the phone with a caring message: (Goode Mourning, Howe Gose Zitt).
• Say. Has anybody seen Jeremy Lin?
• Mr. I's pal Tim Callahan pretty well gets to the nucleus here of all the yahoos who root for Notre Dame:
"It's not the people who actually attended Notre Dame," Tim said. "It's the guys named Sully, Murph and Fitzy who root for them because their mascot is an idiot leprechaun making two fists."
• Can't wait for the next tweet that tosses around the next rumor about conference expansion.
Chances are it's wrong.
• Note to Eli Manning:
Throw it to the guys wearing blue tonight.
• You realize, of course, that if we simply accept sabermetrics as gospel, the S.G.O.A. (Stat Geekery of America) will sell us on some other pseudo-intellectual fraudulence just to continue the game of "we're smarter than you."
Which is all they've ever wanted.
• No, really, Sox fans: Nick Swisher is available.
• Has anyone else noticed the UConn men are playing their rear ends off for Kevin Ollie?
Really nice to see.
• Mr. I sets the line at one week before the next player tries to break Jack Taylor's 138-point game from the other night. Once again showing our all ideals of sportsmanship are swirling the bowl.
This is the opinion of Day sports columnist Mike DiMauro.
MOST VIEWED MEDIA
MOST DISCUSSED STORIES