Man in Stonington New Year's Eve abduction released on bond

Stonington — A Lisbon man accused of abducting a nine-year-old girl on New Year's Eve and leading police on a multi-town chase, was released Wednesday on a $175,000 cash bond.

Daniel E. Candales, 42, of 187 Ross Hill Road, was arraigned in Fourth Division District Court in Wakefield R.I. earlier today on charges in connection with a portion of the pursuit in Hopkinton, R.I.

Stonington police, who had obtained a fugitive from justice warrant for Candales, picked him up at the Wakefield court and returned him to Stonington to be booked. Candales was charged with two counts of risk of injury to a minor, breach of peace, reckless driving and engaging an officer in a pursuit.

He was released on the bond at 3:45 p.m. and is slated to be arraigned in New London Superior Court on Thursday.

As part of his release, Candales was ordered to have no contact with the girl or her mother, Candales' girlfriend. Candales, though, was charged last summer with violating protective or restraining orders 11 times.

Police released more details this afternoon about Monday's incident which resulted in a national Amber Alert being issued for the girl.

According to police, Candales drove his pickup truck with a plow and sander attached to the police station parking lot about 7:05 p.m for a custody exchange with his ex-wife. Inside the truck was Candales' girlfriend, the nine-year-old girl and Candales' five-year-old daughter.

Police said Candales was involved at that point in an argument with his girlfriend. Candales dropped off the five-year-old girl to his ex-wife, and his girlfriend, got out of the truck. When a police officer came outside and told Candales not to leave he drove off with the nine-year-old girl in the cab.

Stonington police spotted Candales and pursued him through Pawcatuck and Westerly before Hopkinton police took over the pursuit. Candales later crossed back into Connecticut on Route 49, and Hopkinton police broke off the chase. A bulletin was put out to local departments for Candales, who owns a landscaping and snow plowing business in Lisbon.

By locating and tracking his cell phone signal, police took Candales and the girl into custody in Richmond R.I. The girl was uninjured. At 10:15 p.m., police canceled the Amber Alert.

According to state judicial department records, in a nine-week period last summer, Candales was arrested multiple times by Norwich, Stonington and state police. He was charged with seven violations of a protective order; four criminal violations of a restraining order, two counts of second-degree breach of peace and two counts of interfering with an emergency call, along with third-degree assault, risk of injury to a minor, second-degree harassment, second-degree unlawful restraint, criminal possession of a firearm, second-degree stalking, reckless driving and illegal operation of vehicle. He is next scheduled to appear on all those charges Jan. 7 in New London Superior Court.

Candales has convictions for third-degree sexual assault, second-degree breach of peace, criminal possession of a firearm and a violation of probation. He is a registered sex offender in the state.


Loading comments...
Hide Comments