Local roundup: East Lyme sweeps Fitch, NFA in swimming
East Lyme - East Lyme High School swept an Eastern Connecticut Conference swim meet at home Tuesday, defeating Fitch 128-43 and Norwich Free Academy 133-43.
NFA earned a split by edging Fitch 87-82.
The Vikings (5-1, 4-0) swept all three relays with Zachary Kosakowski, Clayton Otter, Austin Toback and Eric Stirtan winning the 200 medley relay, Otter, Adam Opsahl, Ben Biondi and Sam Magna winning the 200 freestyle relay and Stirtan, Opsahl, Biondi and Magna capturing the 400 freestyle relay.
Mitch Ryan won the diving competition for East Lyme with 160.65 points and qualified for the Class M meet.
For NFA (2-4, 2-3), Aidan Karam won the 50 free and 500 free, setting a school record in the 500 (5:02.13) while Fitch's Christian Berg won the 200 free and 100 back, setting a pool record in the 100 back (52.95). Karam's time broke a record that that stood from 37 years when Bob Jakubowski swam the 500 in 5:04.75 in 1976.
In other meets:
• Waterford opened its ECC season with a 94-82 loss to Windham-RHAM-Coventry. Dan Clark won the 200 freestyle (2:26.31) and Nik Lehet won the diving (191.35 points) for Waterford (0-2, 0-1).
Waterford's team of Clark, Rodney Pinkham, Ryan Hessling and Matt Alfultis won the 400 freestyle relay with a time of 4:46.12.
• Mike Hughes won the 100 free (1:01.60) and 100 back (1:14.85) during Ledyard-Stonington's 97-50 ECC victor over New London. Adam Tran (200 IM), Alex Orf (200 free), Collin Esquirol (50 free) and Fred France (100 fly) also won events for the Colonels (3-0, 3-0) while Liam Greene (500 free) and Robert Woodstock (100 breast) were winners for the Whalers (0-4, 0-4).
• Evin Matted had 15 points and 12 rebounds as Regis won its first game of the season, 74-69 over Mitchell College, in a New England Collegiate Conference game. Joshua Ford had 11 points and 11 rebounds for the Mariners (5-5, 1-1) and Anthony Epps scored 19.
• Ryan Kolb had 20 points for No. 7 WPI in a 83-49 win over Coast Guard Academy in a New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference game.
Sam Longwell had 11 points for WPI (14-0, 2-0). Greg Marshall scored 14 for the Bears (1-10, 0-2) and Jimmy Knudsen added 12 points.
• Sarah Collins had 14 points, 16 rebounds and three blocks to lead No. 22 Babson past Coast Guard, 49-34, in the NEWMAC. It was the 71st consecutive NEWMAC win for the Beavers (11-1, 6-0). Linnett Graber had nine points and five steals for Babson. Larla Brown scored a team-high nine for the Bears (4-7, 2-4) while Karli Collins added eight rebounds.
• Mitchell shot just 18 percent from the floor in a 68-31 loss to Regis in the NECC. Diamond Thomas scored 13 points for the Mariners (1-8, 1-2).
• Manhattanville scored a pair of goals in the second period and beat Connecticut College, 2-1. Caroline Corbert, assisted by Ariel DiPasquale, scored a short-handed goal for the Camels (4-6-1) and goalie Kelsie Fralick made 22 saves.
MOST VIEWED MEDIA
MOST DISCUSSED STORIES