Local college roundup: Notice leads St. Thomas More to victory
Montville - Duane Notice had 14 points and 10 assists in St. Thomas More's 81-61 over Post University's sub-varsity men's basketball team Wednesday.
Marquis Salmon had 13 points and seven rebounds and Chris Walters added 11 points and five rebounds for the Chancellors, who improved to 16-1.
In other games:
• Devonte Weems had a team-high 16 points, seven rebounds and two blocks in Coast Guard Academy's 61-55 loss to Babson in the New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference. Jimmy Knudsen had seven points and five rebounds for Coast Guard (1-13, 0-5).
• Joshua Ford had 24 points and had 15 rebounds as Mitchell College beat Wheelock 94-61 in a New England Collegiate Conference game Tuesday night. Mitchell (7-6, 3-2) shot 54 percent from the floor (36-of-67).
• Former UConn coach Jim Calhoun will be honored on Jan. 24 prior to the basketball game between host Quinnipiac and Central Connecticut State University at the TD Bank Sports Center in Hamden.
Quinnipiac coach Tom Moore and CCSU's Howie Dickenman spent 13 and 10 seasons, respectively, as assistants on Calhoun's staff. Former Husky Scott Burrell is a Quinnipiac assistant.
During the pre-game ceremony, Quinnipiac and CCSU will present Calhoun with a donation to benefit the Pat and Jim Calhoun Cardiology Center. Calhoun, a Hall of Famer, retired in September after 26 seasons in Storrs where he won three national championships.
• UConn coach Kevin Ollie is one of 48 coaches participating in the Infiniti Coaches' Charity Challenge. At the end of the eight-week competition, the coach receiving the most votes will receive a $100,000 donation for his designated charity. Ollie's charity is the Tolland Fund, which supports the rights of people with disabilities to participate in sports and recreation. Fans can register and vote on www.ESPN.com/Infiniti.
• Coast Guard committed 26 turnovers in a 59-45 loss to Wellesley in the NEWMAC. Freshmen Meghan Fornaro and Victoria Sutherland each had eight points while sophomore Dani Knox had seven points and a season-high 10 rebounds for Coast Guard (6-8, 4-5).
• Sam Gill of Connecticut College won two events, but the Camels lost at Keene State 182-105. Gill won the 50-yard freestyle (21.74) and the 100 freestyle (47.66). Sean Paquette and Dylan Steiner also won events for Conn (4-3).
• Connecticut College's Julia Pielock won a pair of events as the Camels lost to Keene State 192-96. Pielock won the 50-yard freestyle (24.60) and 100 freestyle (54.61). Rachel Wilson and Sam Pierce also won events for Conn (5-2).
MOST VIEWED MEDIA
MOST DISCUSSED STORIES