Support journalism that matters to you

Since COVID-19 impacts us all and we want everyone in our community to have the important information they need, we have decided to make all coronavirus related stories free to read on While we are providing free access to articles, they are not free to produce. The newsroom is working long hours to provide you the news and information you need during this health emergency. Please consider supporting our work by subscribing or donating.

UPDATED: State police officially ID man shot and killed by Norwich police

Norwich — State police have officially identified the man shot and killed Sunday by city police officers after they said he pointed a gun at them as 52-year-old Michael Dugas of 172 Laurel Hill Ave.

Norwich police said at 7:18 p.m. Sunday they received a report of a man with a gun in a neighborhood park lin the area of Laurel Hill Avenue and Center Street. The caller hung up when asked for more details.

When officers arrived at the scene, they found a man who told them that he had a gun. The man was despondent and refused to follow the officer's commands.

Police said they attempted to communicate with the man for a period of time, when he suddenly drew a handgun from his pocket and pointed it at them.

Several officers fired at the "gun-wielding" subject in self-defense, Norwich police said. The man was taken to the William W. Backus Hospital, where he later died.

Paul Johnson said he was taking out his garbage when another neighbor told him Dugas was in trouble by the park.

Johnson said he went down to the park and saw several police officers around Dugas, who was illuminated by a spotlight. He said that when Dugas made a "movement," he heard about 15 gunshots and saw Dugas fall to the ground.

Johnson stressed that Dugas was a "super-nice guy who wouldn't hurt anyone" but had struggled since his wife died.

As is routine in any officer-involved shooting, the state police and the New London State Attorney's Office have taken charge of the investigation.

State police Sgt. Donna Tadiello said state police are investigating how many officers were at the scene and who discharged their weapon. It is no certain how many officers will be placed on administrative duties as a result of the shooting.

Sunday's shooting is the fourth officer-involved shooting in the city in the last year. The most recent occurred on Jan. 7 when Officer Jonathan Ley was shot four times by Jason Razzino, 30, during a Cedar Street standoff. Razzino committed suicide after an hours-long standoff with police.


Loading comments...
Hide Comments