Local roundup: East Lyme beats Fitch 8-1 in softball
East Lyme — Morgan Lloyd went 2-for-3 Monday with a double and four RBI as the East Lyme High School softball team topped Fitch 8-1 in the Eastern Connecticut Conference Large Division.
Kaylie Crosby went 3-for-4 with two runs scored for East Lyme (2-0, 1-0) and Meghan Welch pitched a four-hitter for her first win of the season.
Fitch is 1-2, 0-1.
In other games:
• Lindsey Reinhart hit a solo home run leading off the top of the seventh inning and Jessica Monday pitched out of a jam in the bottom of the inning to preserve Ledyard's 2-1 victory over Killingly in the ECC Medium Division. Killingly had runners on first and second with one out, but Monday recorded a strike out and infield pop out to end the game. Monday allowed just four singles for Ledyard (2-1, 1-0).
• Unbeaten Stonington broke a 6-6 tie with two runs in the bottom of the sixth and the Bears went on to beat Griswold 8-6 in the teams' ECC Medium Division opener. Andrea Chiaradio opened the sixth with a triple and scored the go-ahead run on Theresa Kane's infield single for Stonington (3-0, 1-0). Kane was 2-for-3 with a double and three RBI and earned the win with two scoreless innings of relief.
• Alyssa Mattison scattered six hits as Montville won its ECC Small Division opener with a 5-2 win over Lyman Memorial. Hannah Meyers led the Indians (2-1, 1-0), going 2-for-3 with a double, three RBI and a run scored, while Nichole Dutka was 2-for-3 with a stolen base and run.
• Tabitha Ford and Naomi Munton each had four hits, including a triple, with four RBI as Grasso Tech beat Windham Tech 22-13 in a Constitution State Conference East Division game. Tonia Johnson had three doubles and three RBI for Grasso (2-1) and Nicole Teixiera added two doubles and two RBI.
• Kylie Baker had a double and Kayla Collins tripled and singled in Wheeler's 3-2 loss to Plainfield in the ECC Small Division. Wheeler fell to 1-2, 0-1.
• Tommy Jankowski went 2-for-3, including a double, scored twice and picked up the save as Norwich Tech beat Putnam 3-1 in the CSC East Division. Mitchell Ritchie went 2-for-3 with three RBI for Norwich Tech (2-1, 1-0) and Eddie Santiago earned his second win in relief.
• Williams School managed just three hits in a 10-0 loss to Bancroft in a game that went just five innings because of the mercy rule. Nick Smith had two singles for the Blues (1-2).
• Mike Mann had three hits and two RBI in Old Lyme's 9-3 loss to Cromwell in the Shoreline Conference. Billy Buscetto had three singles for the Wildcats (2-1, 1-1).
• Kiki Ryan had five goals and an assist as East Lyme beat NFA 18-8 in the ECC Large. Jill Bartlett had four goals and an assist for East Lyme (1-1, 1-0) and Caroline Regan had two goals and an assist. Megan Gada had two goals and two assists for the Wildcats (1-2, 0-1) and Ellie Swanson scored three times.
• Charles Maynard had three goals and Andrew Bronk had two for Williams in a 15-8 loss to Rocky Hill. Chris Collins had 20 saves for the Blues.
• Justin Bohara shot a low-round 36 to lead NFA past New London 7-0 in the season-opener for both teams. Nick Kamireddy shot a 39 and Frankie Lee a 42 for NFA (1-0, 1-0 ECC Large). Christian Pedersen shot a 49 for the Whalers (0-1, 0-1).
• Connor Callaghan shot a 41 to win medalist honors as East Lyme opened its season with a 7-0 win over Woodstock Academy in the ECC Large. Zach Kosakowsky shot a 42 for East Lyme while Dinkar Ahuja shot a 43.
• Mike Massaro had a game-winning two-run single in the top of the 11th inning to lead Coast Guard to a 9-7 extra-inning victory over Westfield State.
Nolan Gallagher led off the top of the 11th with a single and Ed Sella reached safely on a sacrifice bunt throwing error. A balk moved the runners up a base, then Massaro delivered his game-winning hit down the right field line for the Bears (15-10).
Reliever Tyler Vieira threw three innings of shutout ball to earn the win, allowing one hit while striking out four. Tyler Babkiewich had a two-run double and Gallagher added a two-run triple.
MOST VIEWED MEDIA
MOST DISCUSSED STORIES