Stonington's Haberek may not run again
Stonington - First Selectman Ed Haberek said Monday that he hasn't decided whether he'll seek re-election this fall.
Haberek said he will discuss his future with his family over the next few weeks before talking to Democratic party leaders and announcing his decision in advance of the party caucus in late July. In past years, Haberek had already announced that he would be seeking a another term.
"I have a couple of other (job) options back in the private sector. I haven't decided yet what I'll do," he said.
As for why he may not seek a fourth term, Haberek said, "A lot's going on. It's a tough job. It's a lot of work and a lot of time away from my family."
But he added being first selectman is a job he enjoys.
"But I've always said I would do this for a few years and then go back into the private sector," he said.
He said he would like to see some recent started projects come to fruition, such as the installation of an artificial turf field and new grass fields at the high school and the repaving of many roads in towns.
Haberek has won praise for his handling of storms and floods over the past few years, keeping the tax rate low and attending trade shows to promote the town to companies looking to expand or relocate.
Lately he's been dogged by a lawsuit filed by Tracy Swain of Pawcatuck who alleges that he sent her a sexually graphic photo of himself in 2010 using a town-issued Blackberry. Haberek has denied the claims and depositions in the case are expected to take place soon. He has also become embroiled in a number of zoning controversies of late as he has been serving as the town's acting director of planning.
After narrowly defeating Republican Bill Brown in 2007, Haberek has easily won his past two re-election bids. It's unclear who the two parties would put forth as candidates if he steps aside.
MOST VIEWED MEDIA
MOST DISCUSSED STORIES