New London police use video surveillance, GPS coordinates to capture shooting suspect

Get the weekly rundown
Sign up to receive our weekly Legal Insider newsletter

New London — Police arrested a Norwich man who they say fired a gun Tuesday afternoon in the area of 424 Williams St.

Jamel J. McIntosh, 36, was charged with criminal attempt to commit first-degree assault, criminal possession of a firearm, altering a serial number on a firearm, first-degree reckless endangerment, unlawful discharge of a firearm, use of a firearm in the commission of a felony and carrying a pistol without a permit.

He was held overnight and presented Wednesday for arraignment in New London Superior Court, where Judge Stuart M. Schimelman set his bond at $250,000 and continued the case to July 2.

Police said they were called out at 3:42 p.m. Tuesday to investigate reports of gunfire in the area of Cole and Bragaw streets. Officers spoke with the intended victim, Jesus Pintero, who told them he had been standing near the Universal Food Store talking with a woman and her 7-year-old son when a man he didn't know came up to him and said, "Yo dude. Come here."

Pintero said he "shrugged off" the man, heard a gunshot and, fearing for his life, fled on his moped. The female witness said Pintero was "kind of ignoring" the man when the man pulled a gun and fired it at Pintero. She fled with her son.

The motive for the shooting has not yet been determined, according to Deputy Chief Peter Reichard, who said detectives were trying to establish a possible link between the victim and the shooter.

Investigators retrieved video footage of the shooting captured by surveillance cameras at Hodges Square Wine & Spirits and developed other information that helped them identify McIntosh as a suspect, according to an incident report. They also recovered a .45 caliber shell casing from the store owner.

The cameras captured the suspect pointing a silver metallic gun at the victim and firing a shot in his direction, according to the report. The suspect placed the gun in his right front pocket and walked out of view of the camera, according to the report.

Police were able to track McIntosh's whereabouts because he was on probation and wearing a GPS ankle monitor. He had been sentenced in February 2011 to four years in prison, suspended after 18 months served, followed by two years probation for numerous criminal charges, including possession of narcotics, third-degree assault and violation of a protective order.

Probation Officer Michael Connell told investigators the coordinates showed that McIntosh was in the area of Williams and Bragaw streets at the time of the shooting and later that he was in the area of Wausau Place.

Hours after the shooting, officers flooded Wausau Place and captured him as he attempted to flee out the back door of 9 Wausau Place, according to the report. They recovered a Bersa Thunder .45-caliber pistol in the freezer of a tenant's home.

The police also arrested Jerome Hudson, 24, of 12 W. High St., New London, after he fled from the Wausau Place apartment, fought with Detectives Matthew Galante and Frank Jarvis, injuring both of them as they attempted to detain him, and ran through a stranger's Bank Street apartment in his attempt to escape, according to an incident report.

The detectives both suffered minor injuries and were back on the job Wednesday, according to the deputy chief. Reichard said it appears Hudson just happened to be at the Wausau Place location when police went there looking for McIntosh.

Hudson ran through several backyards and was spotted running into an alley off Bank Street, according to the incident report. A man who lives at 525 Bank St. said he was sitting at his computer desk when Hudson burst in, begged the tenant to hide him and offered money. The man said he grabbed Hudson, who pushed him off. The man then ran out of the apartment and met police in the hallway. The police searched the apartment and found an open window with the screen pushed out.

Patrolman Russell MacDonald captured Hudson a short time later in the parking behind 668 Bank St. with 10 grams of marijuana packaged for sale and $432 in cash, according to the report. The officers later found an additional $100 they said Hudson had dropped in a puddle in the alley. He was charged with interfering with an officer, two counts of assault on a police officer, second-degree burglary, third-degree criminal trespass, second-degree breach of peace, sale of a controlled substance and possession of a controlled substance within 1,500 feet of a school.

Hudson was held overnight and presented in court Wednesday, where Judge Schimelman set his bond at $75,000. Hudson posted bond a short time later and left the courthouse in his socks, saying he had worn out his shoes. His next court date is July 1.


Loading comments...
Hide Comments