Hartford — On the six-month anniversary of the Sandy Hook tragedy, Gov. Dannel P. Malloy announced a bond allocation Friday of $750,000 for the design of a new building for Newtown’s Sandy Hook Elementary School. The State Bond Commission is expected to approve the funds next week.
“It’s hard to imagine that six months have passed since that terrible day,” Malloy said in a press release. “In that time, we have mourned deeply for those we lost and done our best to move forward in a way that honors their memory.”
Earlier this month the state legislature authorized $50 million for reconstructing Sandy Hook Elementary. The community has voted to raze the building and rebuild.
The bond commission is expected to vote on the $50 million in later months as the project progresses.
“ On the sixth-month anniversary of 12/14, my thoughts and prayers continue to be with the victims and their families,” state Sen. John McKinney, R-Fairfield, who represents Newtown, said in a press release. “I am pleased that the state of Connecticut is contributing to the effort to help Newtown heal and rebuild.”
Malloy said the $750,000 would be made available now to help the project move forward as quickly as possible.
“There will be many challenges along the way,” Malloy said. “But it’s my hope that by announcing this funding today, we can help Newtown continue with the healing process. Our thoughts are with those 26 angels today and their families.”