Jury convicts New London woman on assault, weapons charges

A Superior Court jury delivered a quick guilty verdict Tuesday in the case of 24-year-old New London resident Quintia Worthy, who was involved in a September 2011 fight that left three women with slash wounds.

The jury of three men and three women deliberated for less than an hour before sending out a note indicating it had reached a verdict. The foreman announced in open court that the panel found Worthy guilty of three counts of third-degree assault and two counts of possession of illegal weapons in a motor vehicle.

Worthy, of Ledge Road, faces up to 13 years in prison when Judge Arthur C. Hadden sentences her on Oct. 11. She remains free on a $20,000 bond. After the verdict was announced, she said goodbye to her lawyer and left the courthouse, calmly, with her mother.

At the trial, three women who suffered slash wounds requiring stitches testified about an altercation near the intersection of Broad Street and Connecticut Avenue at 2:58 p.m. on Sept. 4, 2011. They said Worthy and 27-year-old Shekina L. Jones followed them from the Ravi gas station on Broad Street. They said the car pulled up alongside their car, and Worthy approached the driver’s side window and began hitting the driver, Jessica Lugo of New London, through the window.

“I told her to let me get down,” Lugo testified. Lugo said she got out of the car and continued fighting and that her passengers, Deborah Moya and Sandra Torres, also “got down.” The women testified that the fight ended quickly, that they had been drinking that night and that they did not know who slashed them.

Worthy’s co-defendant, Jones, has pleaded guilty to cutting the three women and faces up to two years in prison. In a statement to police, Lugo said she had heard Jones say, “I’m going to get you for messing with my baby’s daddy.”

Jones, with her attorney present, testified Tuesday that she used a pen knife attached to her key chain.

Torres, of Groton, testified that she and Jones had problems that had landed them in court in the past.

Former New London Police Patrolman Kyle Gorra, now a state police recruit, testified that he searched Worthy’s car, finding a kitchen knife with an 8-inch blade in the passenger side compartment and a pair of brass knuckles in the passenger side door.

In her closing argument, prosecutor Christa L. Baker told the jury that nobody involved in the incident was innocent, but that the case before them was about Worthy.

“She got out of that car,” Baker said. “She started the fight.”

Defense attorney Paul Whelan had asked the jury to find Worthy not guilty of the assault charges based on inconsistencies in the victims’ testimony. Referencing the weapons charges, he said Worthy was not the only person who had access to the car that night and noted that a police video of the scene showed an unknown male walking up to the driver’s side of the car.



Loading comments...
Hide Comments