New London fire ruled accidental, caused by ceiling fan

New London – A fire that torched a portion of a State Street building last Wednesday has been ruled accidental, caused by a ceiling fan in a fourth-floor apartment, according to the fire marshal.

Fire Marshal Calvin Darrow said interviews with building tenants and firefighters, along with examination of burn patterns led investors to the fan in apartment 4D as the origin of the fire. What exactly sparked the fire is unknown, he said, without further forensic investigation of the fan itself.

The fire displaced nearly two dozen people and left two store owners temporarily out of business. The building owner, William Cornish, has vowed to rebuild. The building at 130 State St. includes 17 apartments and three storefronts. Cornish bought the building in 2002 and spent more than $1 million renovating it.


Loading comments...
Hide Comments