Suffolk Downs gets OK to pursue new casino bid
Boston (AP) - The owners of Suffolk Downs say they're pleased with the decision by the Massachusetts Gaming Commission to allow them to move ahead with their bid for one of three casino licenses.
Chip Tuttle, chief operating officer of Suffolk Downs, said Wednesday that the commission's favorable finding was critical to the project's future.
"We look forward to our ballot questions and the next phase as we advance our plans for a world-class resort at our historic racetrack," he said.
The decision is a boost for the 78-year-old track, which hopes to compete for the sole eastern Massachusetts resort casino license.
It comes a day after track officials told gambling regulators that it is in discussions with several casino operators but may not have one in place before host community votes scheduled for next week.
The search for a new operator began when Suffolk Downs cut ties with Caesars Entertainment after a background check conducted by commission investigators.
Charles Baker III, secretary for Suffolk Downs said Tuesday he could not promise a partner would be in place by Tuesday, when votes are scheduled in East Boston and Revere on host agreements negotiated by Suffolk Downs.
Baker said a new operator would be in place by Dec. 31, the deadline for final casino applications, and that any new operator must agree to honor the host agreements.
The background check of Caesars pointed out a now-ended relationship with a New York hotel subsidiary, an executive's past work in online gambling, and Caesars' now-settled dispute with a high-roller over millions in gambling debts.
The panel also cited Caesars' nearly $24 billion debt.
Caesars said it disagreed with the findings but agreed to withdraw at the request of Suffolk Downs.
Stories that may interest you
The business that preserves and protects Dr. Seuss’ legacy has announced it will stop publishing six titles because of racist and insensitive imagery
Catholic leaders in New Orleans and St. Louis are advising Catholics that the COVID-19 vaccine from Johnson & Johnson is “morally compromised” because it's produced using cell lines developed from aborted fetuses
President Joe Biden says the U.S. expects to take delivery of enough coronavirus vaccines for all adult Americans by the end of May, two months earlier than anticipated, as his administration announced that drugmaker Merck & Co. will help produce rival Johnson & Johnson’s newly approved shot
The Supreme Court appears ready to uphold voting restrictions in Arizona in a key case that could make it harder to challenge a raft of other voting measures Republicans have proposed following last year’s elections