H.S. girls' basketball: St. Bernard's Sullivan scores 1,000th career point
Montville -Casey Sullivan scored 17 points, including her 1,000th at St. Bernard School, as the Saints downed Griswold on Tuesday night, 60-28, in an Eastern Connecticut Conference Small Division girls' basketball game.
Sullivan joins Meg Sweet (1987) and Amanda Pietraszewski (2002) as the only Saints to reach 1,000 during head coach Mike Nystrom's 31 years with the program.
"Casey has really been the key to what success we've had the last four years," Nystrom said. "She's probably the best shooter I've ever had in all the years I've coached, and the best thing about her is she's just a great kid.
"She's really unselfish. She passes up a lot of good shots because she likes to pass the ball. She takes very few of what I'd call bad shots."
Brittany Walenta had 14 points for St. Bernard (10-3, 4-1) and Kaitlyn Berkel scored 13.
In other games:
• Taty LaFrance-Boyce scored 25 points, leading Stonington to a 52-44 win over Montville in an ECC Medium Division game. Megan Sartor had 10 points and Margot Calmar had 18 rebounds for Stonington (11-5, 3-3). Jamie Hill led Montville (9-6, 4-2) with 23 points.
• Norwich Free Acadmey led 16-3 after one quarter and went on to beat Woodstock Academy 56-21 in an ECC Large Division game. Cebria Outlow had 14 points and Alyssa Velles scored 10 for the Wildcats (12-1, 6-0), ranked sixth in the latest state poll.
• Shea Spellman scored 16 points, leading Waterford to a 54-42 win over Plainfield in an ECC Medium Division game. Vanessa Kobyluck had nine points for Waterford (8-6, 3-3).
• Hannah Hutchins and Michelle Klinikowski each finished with double-doubles in Ledyard's 54-24 victory over Fitch in the ECC Large Division.
Hutchins finished with 16 points and 19 rebounds (she also had seven blocks) for the Colonels (12-2, 5-1) and Klinikowski had 14 points and 10 rebounds. Taylor Wolfgang led the Falcons (2-11, 1-5) with eight points.
• East Lyme used a 26-4 run to wipe out a five-point deficit and defeat Bacon Academy, 60-42, in the ECC Large Division. The Vikings (10-4, 5-2) trailed 24-20 late in the first half before scoring the final nine points of the half and then outscoring Bacon 17-4 in the third quarter. Jenna Schumacher led East Lyme with 14 points, Colleen Durkee had 13 and Rebecca McGlone and Theresa Durkee added 12 apiece.
• Lexus Childs-Harris scored 24 points as New London beat Killingly 71-30 in an ECC Medium Division game. India Pagan had 15 points and Deanna McCarvell scored 14 for New London (12-2, 6-0), which led 20-0 after one quarter.
• Windham rallied from a late five-point deficit to edge Wheeler, 37-36, in the ECC Small Division. Jess Muller had 13 points and 12 rebounds for the Lions (3-9, 1-4) and Kylie Baker finished with nine points and nine rebounds.
• Keila LaStraglio scored 18 points as Grasso Tech beat Ellis Tech 41-16 in a Constitution State Conference game. Tabitha Ford had 10 points for Grasso (3-8).
MOST VIEWED MEDIA
MOST DISCUSSED STORIES