Local roundup: Karam has record day for NFA swim team
Waterford — Aidan Karam broke Norwich Free Academy's career scoring mark as the Wildcats beat Waterford 93-89 on Tuesday in an Eastern Connecticut Conference swim meet.
Karam won the 100-meter backstroke (1:07.38), 200 freestyle (2:14.48) and was on the winning 200 freestyle relay team to help give the senior a total of 665.5 points, breaking Dennis Topf's 23-year-old record.
Walker Cook and Tyler Keith won two events each for NFA (3-5, 3-5). Cook won the 200 individual medley (2:39.98) and 400 freestyle (5:04.29) and Keith won the 100 freestyle (1:02.92) and 100 breaststroke (1:23.03).
Elson Guo won the 50 freestyle (26.57) and 100 butterfly (1:06.59) and Michael McDermott won the diving (156.70 points) for Waterford (1-6, 1-6).
In other meets:
• Clayton Otter and Ryan Dumais each won an event and were on two winning relays teams as East Lyme beat Windham/RHAM/Coventry 100-83 in an ECC meet.
Otter won the 200-yard individual medley (2:10.27), Dumais won the 500 freestyle (5:25.27) and they teamed with Eric Stirtan, Ben Biondi, Christopher Naktenis and Benas Kirvelevicius to win the relays.
Kevin Sullivan (diving, 206.45 points), Biondo (100 butterfly, 58.43) and Ethan Opsahl (100 breaststroke, 1:12.28) also won events for East Lyme (10-2, 7-0). Greg Husta won the 50 freestyle and 100 freestyle for Windham (4-5, 4-4).
• Sophomore Sean Estep set the tone for Fitch/St. Bernard by winning a tight 200 freestyle race in a personal best 2:01.30, leading the Falcons past Ledyard/Stonington, 91-78, in the ECC.
Dakota Williams (100 and 50 freestyle), Sam Kokomoor (100 butterfly and 500 freestyle) and Aidan Ely (200 IM and 100 breaststroke) were double winners for Fitch (5-2, 5-2). Sarah Morrison won the 100 backstroke for Ledyard (6-3, 5-3).
• Will Jarrett finished first in the 200 freestyle in the Williams School's 65-29 loss to Moses Brown of Providence. Samantha Linhares was second in the 200 freestyle for the Blues.
• Dino Broccoli's 181 led Grasso Tech to a 847-773 win over Ellis Tech. Also scoring for Grasso were Mack Foster (179), David Gauthier (176), Kylie Darby (157) and Zach Ivory (151).
• Eastern Connecticut State University raced out to a 51-26 halftime lead and went on to beat Connecticut College, 78-65.
Julia DePoi led the Warriors (14-6) with 16 points and freshman Lexis Foster, a Fitch graduate, had two points and a team-high eight rebounds. Tara Gabelman had 22 points and nine rebounds and Carlee Smith added 14 points for the Camels, who shot just 33 percent from the field.
• Mitchell College senior Joshua Ford was named the ECAC Division III New England Co-Player of the Week for men's basketball.
He averaged 26 points and 14 rebounds in three wins last week for the Mariners (15-4, 11-1), the New England Collegiate Conference leaders.
MOST VIEWED MEDIA
MOST DISCUSSED STORIES