H.S. boys' basketball: New London clinches ECC Medium title
Stonington - New London High School clinched the Eastern Connecticut Conference Medium Division boys' basketball championship on Tuesday night with an 80-56 victory over Stonington.
The Whalers (15-1, 9-0), who have won 13 straight, broke the game open in the fourth quarter when they outscored the Bears 22-8.
Collin Sawyer led New London with 22 points, including three 3-pointers, while Josh Maynard added 16 points, Nabate Metts 13 and De'Vonta Robinson 12.
Matt Donahue made six 3-pointers and finished with 26 points, six rebounds and four assists for the Bears (2-15, 1-8) and Divante White had seven rebounds.
In other games:
• Ledyard clinched at least a share of the ECC Large Division title by rallying past Norwich Free Academy 58-52. The Colonels (14-2, 8-0), who can win the title outright with a win next Tuesday at Bacon Academy, fell behind 16-9 after one quarter and trailed most of the night before outscoring the Wildcats 16-9 in the fourth quarter.
Darnay Gray scored 21 points for Ledyard, Phyllip Thomas added 17 and DeAnte Bruton 11, while Marcus Outlow scored a game-high 26 points for NFA (11-6, 4-4), converting four 3-pointers, and Desmond D'Elia-Miller finished with 20.
• St. Bernard clinched at least a share of the ECC Small Division title with a 59-45 victory over Lyman Memorial. The Saints (11-5, 8-1) lead Windham by one game and can win the title outright with a win over Griswold at home on Friday. St. Bernard trailed 16-13 after one quarter, but took control when Anthony Malchiodi scored 10 points in the second quarter and the Saints outscored Lyman 19-9 to open a 32-25 halftime lead. Malchiodi finished with 14 points while Remy Bonser led the way with 16 and Graham Fagerquist added 12.
• Mario Graham scored 17 points to lead Fitch past East Lyme, 81-51, in the ECC Large. Willie Harris had 14 points and Marc Evans added 10 for the Falcons (6-11, 2-7). Christian Brown had 13 points for the Vikings (3-14, 0-9).
• Waterford scored 44 first-half points and cruised to a 72-57 victory over Montville in the ECC Large Division. Schneider Jean-Pierre led the Lancers (12-5, 7-2) with 13 points while Donny Craig and Danny Martin added 11 points apiece. Terrell Witherspoon paced the Indians (3-14, 2-7) with 22 points.
• Josh Turkowski had 13 points as Old Lyme beat Hale-Ray, 43-28, in the Shoreline Conference. Jacob Ballachino had 12 points for Old Lyme (7-10).
• Senior Rudy Harvey had a team-high 15 points and had four 3-pointers in the Williams School's 56-39 loss to Rocky Hill School of East Greenwich, R.I. Freshman Jake Parizo had seven points for the Blues
• Mike Froscello hit two free throws with three seconds left to lift Norwich Tech past Putnam, 49-48. Froscello finished with 10 points while Tyriece Burke had 14 points and Mack Osias 17 points for the Warriors (7-8).
MOST VIEWED MEDIA
MOST DISCUSSED STORIES