H.S. roundup: Waterford, NFA advance to ECC boys' quarters
Waterford - Donny Craig had 11 points, 11 rebounds and four steals to help pace fifth-seeded Waterford High School to a 53-33 win over No. 12 Griswold in the first round of the Eastern Connecticut Conference boys' basketball tournament Thursday night.
Danny Martin had four 3-pointers and scored 15 for Waterford (15-6) and Kyle McComic added 10 points.
Waterford will play fourth-seeded Norwich Free Academy in Saturday's quarterfinals at St. Bernard School at 6 p.m. The other three quarterfinals are No. 2 New London vs. No. 10 Tourtellotte (noon), No. 3 Woodstock Academy vs. No. 6 Bacon Academy (2 p.m.) and top-seeded Ledyard vs. No. 9 Plainfield (4 p.m.)
In other games:
• Isaiah Stewart scored 12 of his 19 points in the fourth quarter as Bacon pulled away late to defeat No. 11 Fitch, 78-66. The Bobcats, who trailed 34-33 at the break, opened a 53-49 lead after three quarters before outscoring the Falcons 25-17 in the fourth behind Stewart, who went 4-for-4 from the floor and ignited a 13-2 run that broke the game open. Marc Evans led Fitch (8-13) with 24 points, including six 3-pointers, while Mario Graham added 13 with three 3-pointers and Devante Anderson had 12.
• NFA took control of its first-round game early, opening a 15-4 lead after one quarter on the way to a 47-28 win over No. 13 Killingly. Marcus Outlow scored 19 points, including four 3-pointers, for the Wildcats (15-6) and Desmond D'Elia-Miller added 17.
• Ryan Pambuku made two free throws with one second left to break a 47-47 tie and give Plainfield a 49-47 win over No. 8 St. Bernard. Steve Jankowski scored 16 for Plainfield (12-9) while Graham Fagerquist had 15 points for the Saints (12-9) and Remy Bonser scored 12.
• Kevin Philebert had 27 points and 11 rebounds as Grasso Tech beat Windham Tech, 81-71, in the Constitution State Conference. J'Quan Monroe had 24 points and 10 rebounds for Grasso (7-12), which must win its regular season finale at home tonight against Wheeler in order to qualify for the CIAC Class M tournament.
• Mack Osias scored 11 points and Elijah Cook nine in Norwich Tech's 53-35 loss to Amistad. Mike Froscello made a pair of 3-pointers for the Warriors, who finish the regular season 10-10.
• Adian Ely won the 100 breaststroke (1:09.81) and 200 individual medley (2:12.24) as Fitch/St. Bernard beat Waterford, 93-74, in the ECC. Dakota Williams won the 50 freestyle (22.70) and 100 backstroke (1:00.52) for Fitch (10-3, 9-3). Also, Sam Kokomoor won the 100 freestyle (52.62) and 200 freestyle (1:57.19).
Elson Guo won the 100 butterfly (58.35) for the Lancers (2-10, 2-10).
• Rob Iorio has been named boys' lacrosse coach at Stonington, athletic director Bryan Morrone announced. Iorio was a volunteer varsity assistant with the Bears in 2013 and served as the interim head coach of the girls' program at Wheeler in 2012.
Said Morrone, "Coach Iorio has great experience and knowledge of the sport. He is well respected in the local lacrosse community and also offers a continuity to the high school program, which I deemed very important considering the recent successes Stonington lacrosse has had in the ECC as well as CIAC."
MOST VIEWED MEDIA
MOST DISCUSSED STORIES