Local Roundup: Coast Guard rallies past Springfield
New London - Coast Guard rallied from a 6-0 deficit to beat Springfield College 8-6 in a New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference baseball game Friday.
Coast Guard (8-12, 3-4) took its first lead of the game at 7-6 on Lukas Laplante's two-run single in the bottom of the eighth inning and Cory Sonnega's third RBI single of the game gave the Bears an insurance run. Dave Wolinski had two hits, Brendan McNeil drove in three runs and Laplante scored three times.
Sean Barry (2-1) pitched 5 2-3 innings of scoreless relief to earn the win and Justin Rebholz pitched a perfect ninth inning for his first save of the season.
In other games:
• UConn-Avery Point won its 14th straight game, beating Springfield College's junior varsity 8-5. Chris Mayhew had three hits and drove in four runs, Andrew Hinckley had two hits and scored three runs and Izzy Davila had two hits and drove in two runs for the Pointers (19-3). Starting pitcher Bryant Morander (2-1) was the winner.
H.S. girls' lacrosse
• Maddy Lahm scored five goals and had two assists as Wlliams School opened its season with a 10-7 win over Chase Collegiate. Grace Purcell made 21 saves, Lily Goldberg had three goals and an assist and Britta Widman also scored for the Blues.
• Williams School was two-hit in its opener, losing to Master's 4-1. Williams scored in the bottom of the first inning when Sotiraq Vangjeli tripled home Jake Parizo.
• Coast Guard was swept by host Wheaton in a NEWMAC doubleheader, losing the opener 12-3 and the second game 6-5. Jessie Richardson had a RBI double in the opener and Cherokee Strickland, Natalie Spadafora and Richardson each had run-scoring singles in the second game for Coast Guard (7-11, 0-4).
• Coast Guard's Adam Scalesse competed in the 110 hurdles at the Florida Relays. He finished with a time of 14.32, tops among Division III runners. He also ran a 53.31 in the 400 hurdles, second among Division III runners.
• Connecticut College defensewoman Jane Pagano was selected to the United States College Hockey Online All-Rookie Team. Pagano shared the team lead with nine goals scored while ranking eighth among all New England Small College Athletic Conference defenders in offensive production with 14 points. Pagano was honored as the NESCAC Women's Hockey Player of the Week on February 24, 2014.
MOST VIEWED MEDIA
MOST DISCUSSED STORIES