H.S. lacrosse roundup: Stonington girls wrap up an unbeaten season
Ledyard — At the start of the season, Stonington High School girls' lacrosse coach Jeff Medeiros gave his team a conservative estimate of finishing 12-4.
"We had the ability to go undefeated, but I didn't throw it out there," Medeiros said.
On Thursday, Stonington - 11-8 a year ago - capped its undefeated season with a 24-11 win over Ledyard in an Eastern Connecticut Conference Small Division game. Stonington (16-0, 10-0) outscored Ledyard 14-5 in the second half to pull away.
Hannah Johnson had six goals and two assists, Emily Cassata had five goals and Valerie Muller, Jenny Sieczkiewicz and Elizabeth Morrison scored four goals each for Stonington.
Stonington led 10-6 at halftime, at which time Medeiros reminded his team of what it was trying to accomplish, against Ledyard and in the big picture.
"We weren't winning draws as much as I'd like to. We made our adjustments we needed to make," Medeiros said. "I told them, 'You're out there to say something to everybody.' Ledyard's a good team. They hadn't lost at home yet.
"... I am very pleased where we are. They've done what I asked them to do. But I keep saying it, 'There's more to be done.'"
Ellie Phetteplace had four goals and an assist, Leslie Dunn scored three times, Brooke Scahill scored twice and Maddie Tilton had a goal and an assist for Ledyard (12-7, 6-4).
In other games:
• Hannah Long scored five goals as Norwich Free Academy beat Bacon 14-7 in an ECC Large Division game. Sam Trombley had three goals, Maya Bell scored twice and Christina Konstantinidis made 11 saves for NFA (8-7, 6-2).
• McKenzie Potter scored five goals and had three assists, leading Waterford to a 15-3 win over Wheeler. Sarah Coiro scored twice, Mandy Tourjee had a goal and two assists and Sarah Lamothe had a goal and an assist for Waterford (9-6, 7-2). Zoe Robert scored twice for Wheeler (0-14, 0-10).
• Allie Buckley had five goals and six assists to lead Old Lyme past North Branford 18-4 in the Shoreline Conference. Sloane Sweitzer added five goals and five assists for the Wildcats (12-3) while Sydney Cowell scored six goals and goalie Meredith Britton stopped 14 shots.
• St. Bernard/Wheeler scored two minutes into overtime and beat Montville 8-7 in the ECC Small Division. Nick Kane had three goals, Tim Bouchard scored twice and Allen Schroeder made 12 saves for St. Bernard/Wheeler (3-12, 2-6). Tyler Price scored four goals and Keith Mutch made 15 saves for Montville (0-14, 0-8).
• East Lyme wrapped up an undefeated ECC Large Division schedule, beating Fitch 12-3. Chris Apicelli had three goals, Mark Chmielewski, Mark Wojcik and Evan Opsahl each scored twice and Nic Page had a goal and four assists for East Lyme (12-3, 8-0). Fitch is 9-6, 5-3.
MOST VIEWED MEDIA
MOST DISCUSSED STORIES