Local Roundup: New London Legion blanks Tri-Town twice
New London - New London received a pair of complete-game shutout performances by Hunter Nadeau and Andrew Fogarty during a Zone VI American Legion baseball doubleheader sweep of Tri-Town on Saturday at Sal Amanti Field.
Nadeau pitched a two-hitter with two walks and six strikeouts in the opener, a 7-0 New London victory, while Fogarty scattered six hits during a 1-0 win in the second game with two walks in 10 strikeouts.
New London (13-5) was led by Izzy Davila in the first game. Davila had two hits (including a double), two RBI and scored twice while Pieter Khoury had two hits and drove in three.
In the second game, Cooper Robinson's RBI double in the third inning led to the game's lone run.
In other games:
• Norwich was swept by Jewett City, losing the opener 11-1 and the second game 9-5. Tom Pietruczuk had a double in the second game for Norwich.
New York-Penn League
• Michael Gerber was 4-for-5 with two homers and eight RBI as the Connecticut Tigers beat the Tri-City ValleyCats 10-2. Gerber also doubled, tripled and scored four times. Chase Edwards (2-1) earned the victory, allowing six hits and two runs over eight innings with four strikeouts and a walk. Garrett Mattlage and Ross Kivlett each had two hits and scored three runs for the Tigers (8-8).
The Tigers had their four-game winning streak snapped Friday night, losing to Tri-City 7-5. Gerber was 3-for-4 with a double and triple, Domingo Leyba singled, doubled and drove in two runs and Franklin Navarro and Kivett had two hits each for the Tigers.
• The Mystic Schooners won their third straight game, beating the Ocean State Waves 10-5. Pat Egan (Southern Connecticut) was the winner, allowing four hits and one run over five innings. Egan (1-0) struck out five and walked two. Brad Zunica (Miami) had two hits and drove in three runs and Zachary Weigel (Stony Brook), Stephen Laurino (Marist), Tyler Boyd (Seton Hall) and Dan Hoy (Princeton) had two hits each for the Schooners (10-5).
• Jared Hunt went the distance as Niantic beat Ledyard-Pawcatuck 4-3 in Zone VI. Ryan Kane had a two-run double and Lucas Sousa-Ross two hits for Niantic (8-3) while Brandon Medina had two hits and an RBI for L-P (8-3).
SEC 16-18 Babe Ruth
• Tri-County Hebron beat East Lyme 12-5 in eight innings Friday night. Brian Collins had three hits, including two doubles, for East Lyme.
• Justin Pandolfe allowed only one hit with 12 strikeouts over five shutout innings as Waterford defeated Ledyard 7-4 on Friday night. Anthony Jordan had two hits for Waterford (7-2) while Ryan Miller had a hit and two RBI and Trey Zaharek scored twice.
District 6 Babe Ruth (13)
• Waterford defeated New London 10-7 as Dylon Bosco pitched three scoreless innings to earn the win and Brandon Beck worked out of a bases-loaded jam in the sixth to earn the save. Drew Rocchetti led the Waterford offense with three hits and three RBI.
• East Lyme defeated Tri-County 7-3 as Doyle Connolly pitched a three-hitter and Matt Malcom and Eric Donovan had two hits apiece. Jack Burton had two hits for Tri-County.
District 10 baseball (11-12)
• John Linares stole home in the bottom of the fifth inning, breaking a 2-2 tie, and leading East Haddam beat Pawcatuck 3-2. Linares struck out four over 4 2-3 and Michael Quinn finished up for the win. Rhys Hammond's two-run double in the fourth gave Pawcatuck a 2-1 lead.
District 10 baseball (10-11)
• Jesper Silberberg singled, doubled and tripled and Connor Wyman had three hits as Lyme-Old Lyme beat New London 15-4. Colbe Andrews was the winning pitcher. Alejandro Santiago had double for New London.
District 10 baseball (9-10)
• Pawcatuck/North Stonington rallied from a 3-1 deficit to beat New London 7-3 Friday. Dorian White's bases-loaded single was followed by an error that allowed all four runners to score. Nakhi Snyder had two hits and a sacrifice fly for Pawcatuck/North Stonington and Brandt Ogden pitched 2 1-3 innings of scoreless relief for the win. Guiseppie Satti, Hunter MacDuff and Jocel Camacho scored runs and Kenny Miller drove in a run for New London.
• Trevor Meaike was 5-for-5 with two doubles and drove in four runs as Montville beat Lyme-Old Lyme 14-4 Friday. Chris Cullen was the winning pitcher.
District 10 softball (9-10)
• Waterford defeated East Lyme 21-0 in four innings as Gabriela and Lilliana Kramer combined on the shutout, Amy Pinch had four hits, Maddie Burrows and Bella Williams two hits apiece and Lily Marelli doubled.
• Kassidy Standish and Grace Ann Lathrop combined to pitch a three-hitter as Lyme-Old Lyme beat Mystic 10-3. Paige Kolesnik was 3-for-3 with two RBI for Lyme-Old Lyme. Mystic's Fiona Tabor struck out 12.
MOST VIEWED MEDIA
MOST DISCUSSED STORIES