UPDATED: Groton man arrested following domestic dispute

Get the weekly rundown
Sign up to receive our weekly Legal Insider newsletter

Groton - A Groton City man faces 10 charges stemming from a domestic dispute early Thursday in which a woman was injured but declined medical treatment.

Jontay C. Goode, 22, of 149 Mather Ave. was charged with first-degree criminal trespass, second-degree strangulation, third-degree assault, third-degree criminal mischief, interfering with an officer, three counts of risk of injury to a minor, second-degree burglary and violating the conditions of release.

Police were called to a house on Branford Avenue shortly after midnight, according to a brief account in the city police log. The caller said Goode had tried to get inside her apartment, but he left before police arrived so they called in a K-9 unit, the log said.

Police requested an ambulance for a woman whose head was “knocked into a cabinet during the altercation,” but she declined medical treatment, the log said.

City Police Lt. Eric Jenkins said Goode and the victim have been in an on-again, off-again relationship and have children in common, but he was not supposed to be at her house.

He had shown up earlier Thursday, and police had arrested him for going there without permission, Jenkins said. It was a non-violent situation and they released him, Jenkins said.

About three hours later, Goode decided to go back and find out why she had called police in the first place, Jenkins said.

“He apparently forced his way into the house by pushing the door, where a physical altercation started between the victim and him, in which she was pushed, she was knocked to the ground, she was strangled in some way, I’m not sure how, to the point at which she felt she could not talk or breathe,” Jenkins said.

Neighbors called police. Goode then ran away, but police were able to track him down, Jenkins said.

The woman’s three children were in the house at the time, and one child woke up during the disturbance, Jenkins said.

Goode was arraigned in New London Superior Court at 10 a.m. Thursday.


Loading comments...
Hide Comments