Local roundup: Mystic advances to 9-10 baseball finals
Pomfret - Colin Anderson pitched a three-hitter and Jason Erb went 4-for-4, including a three-run home run, with six RBI as Mystic defeated Tolland on Wednesday, 14-2, at the Connecticut Little League Section II final (ages 9-10) that ended in the bottom of the fourth inning due to the mercy rule.
Nick Carney had a single and two RBI for Mystic and Cam McGugan had two hits, including a double, for Mystic. Also, Tommy Lynch doubled and Anderson had two hits.
Mystic advanced to the best-of-three state championship series against Fairfield National at Ellington. Game 1 and 2 are Saturday and Sunday, respectively, at 4 p.m. Game 3 starts at 5:45 p.m. if necessary.
Connecticut Babe Ruth (15)
• East Lyme closed out pool play with a 7-1 loss to North Haven at Waterford, finishing the tournament at 0-3. American Division winner Stamford plays National Division runnerup New Milford in one semifinal today at 5:30 p.m. Host Waterford, the National champion, plays American runnerup Danbury in the other semifinal, Friday at 5:30 p.m. The championship game is Saturday at 1 p.m.
American Legion Northern Sectional
• Niantic lost to Tolland, 6-3, in the first game of its best-of-three series. Matt Przybysz allowed just three hits over seven innings and Bill Buscetto, Mike Morgan and Ryan Nickerson all doubled. Game 2 is at Tolland today at 2 p.m.
A Niantic win would force a Game 3 to follow at 5 p.m.
• Waterford beat Southington 6-5 in the first game of its series. Waterford hosts North Haven today at 3 p.m., in Game 2. Game 3, if necessary, would begin at 6 p.m.
New York-Penn League
• The Connecticut Tigers were limited to four hits in a 1-0 loss to the Tri-City ValleyCats. Ariel Ovando, who went 3-for-4, singled home Nick Tanielu with an unearned run in the top of the seventh inning.
Joseph Pankake doubled for the Tigers (19-20). Connecticut pitchers A.J. Ladwig, Confesor Lara and Joe Jimenez combined to pitch a six-hitter with seven strikeouts and no walks.
Sutera tournament (11-12)
• Manish Rane-Castrodad earned the win as Mystic defeat East Lyme 10-0. Giovanni Valentine, Pacey Steele and Bret Noreika each hit a home run for Mystic and Aidan Sullivan and Jonathan Cooper each had two hits. Isaak Mateo had two hits for East Lyme.
• Christopher Medina got the win and Chris Watrous hit a two-run double as New London beat Groton 2-0. Gerjaun Tyus earned the save for New London. Tyler Miller had two hits for Groton and Jack McDowell struck out eight.
• Zach Southard hit a go-ahead, bases loaded triple in the fourth inning as Montville beat Lyme-Old Lyme, 6-2. Nick Calash, Nick Gallivan and Tyler Velazquez each had two hits for Montville and Southard also doubled and pitched the win.
Ryan McTigue had two hits for Lyme Old-Lyme.
Sutera tournament (9-10)
• Jackson Long's walk-off RBI single in the sixth inning lifted Waterford to a 3-2 win over Lyme-Old Lyme. Brian Wielachowski, Quinn Sylvia and Logan Peabody combined for the win and Wielachowski also doubled. Riley Warecke took the loss.
MOST VIEWED MEDIA
MOST DISCUSSED STORIES