Body in New London identified by family as missing Middletown man
New London — The body that was discovered in a wooded area off Interstate 95 earlier this month was a 65-year-old Middletown man who was reported missing last year, two family members confirmed on Tuesday.
David Godwin Sr., a retired anesthesia technician with a passion for the New York Yankees and University of Connecticut sports teams, was first reported missing to Middletown police on Oct. 18, 2013.
He was last seen by friends leaving the New London train station bound for New York, according to his cousin, Linda Henry of Bristol.
His body was discovered Oct. 10 by a state Department of Transportation worker clearing brush in an area off Huntington Street, near the I-95 on-ramp. The cause of Godwin’s death has not been determined and is pending further study at the state Office of the Chief Medical Examiner.
Family members said he was identified through dental records.
“I just want people to know he was a great brother, son, father, grandfather, uncle, nephew, cousin and friend. He was loved by all who knew him and none of us saw this coming,” Henry said.
Godwin’s sister, Judy Caminiti of Florida, joined with other family in August for a celebration of life.
“I think I’ve known for a while that he was gone,” Caminiti said. “But you always hold out hope. Now I have some closure. I needed to know where he was. He is missed.”
Godwin was a father to two sons and had six grandchildren, Caminiti said. He grew up in Middletown and spent much of his career at Middlesex Hospital.
Family members had received a letter from Godwin from New York that indicated he was concerned about the onset of Alzheimer’s disease, which his mother had. Caminiti said there was no indication, however, he had Alzheimer’s.
She said she is treasuring the last time the two were together, when he had taken her out to dinner before leaving for Connecticut.
“We had a nice time,” Caminiti said.
State police are investigating the case.
Stories that may interest you
Police have issued a Silver Alert for a missing East Lyme woman.
The New London State's Attorney's Office has found there is "insufficient evidence" to charge adult spectators from Bacon Academy who allegedly directed racist slurs towards girls basketball players from Ledyard High School after a Feb. 5 game.