Support Local News.

We've been with you throughout the pandemic, the vaccinations and the reopening of schools, businesses and communities. There's never been more of a need for the kind of local, independent and unbiased journalism that The Day produces.
Please support our work by subscribing today.

Boyle, a serial rapist and killer, once again eligible for parole

Get the weekly rundown
Sign up to receive our weekly Legal Insider newsletter

The family of homicide victim Louisa Scott has dreaded this month, knowing that Scott's killer, serial rapist Edward F. Boyle Jr., would once again be eligible for parole.

Boyle, 55, has spent most of his adult life in prison, and that's where Scott's family thinks he should remain for as long as possible.

Scott's siblings, Timothy Scott and Beverly Canfield, sprang into action this weekend after a victim advocate notified them Boyle would be appearing before the Board of Pardons and Paroles this Friday at the Brooklyn Correctional Institution. The family was relieved when the parole board extended Boyle's sentence by five years in 2011, but they knew this day would come.

Timothy Scott, who lives in Florida, made travel arrangements and issued a press release. Canfield, who resides in Connecticut, joined him in imploring members of the public and the families of other victims to contact the parole board by Tuesday's deadline and ask them to keep Boyle in prison.

"It's not about our sister anymore," said Canfield in a phone interview. "She's gone. Nothing is going to change that. The family is doing it on behalf of all the victims and any potential victims if he is released. If we can prevent anything from happening again, we will."

Louisa Scott, fatally strangled by Boyle in Coventry on May 31, 1980, would have been 56 years old. Boyle met the 20-year-old Scott at a roller-skating rink, killed her during a sexual assault attempt and threw her lifeless body into the Skungamaug River. He also committed a series of rapes in Manchester in the 1970s and 1980, forcing women off the street at knifepoint and raping them, according to court records. He was sentenced to 20 years for those offenses and was released in 1999.

He served another five-year stint for sexually assaulting a 14-year-old in Groton. At his sentencing in 2006, Superior Court Judge Susan B. Handy told Boyle he was a sexual predator who should be locked up forever, but that he was getting a reduced sentence because the teenage girl he had sexually assaulted was too fragile to testify at trial.

He was released in November 2009 under a strict form of supervision known as special parole, and within 15 months, was charged with violating his parole on Feb. 16, 2011, and sent back to prison. He had been charged with several offenses, including going out of the range of his GPS tracking device and missing a sexual offender treatment session.

Boyle is on special parole, a strict form of state supervision, until 2024, and would likely be monitored by GPS if released to the community. But Scott's family members, noting his victims have ranged in age from 14 to 62, still think he is a risk to a large segment of the community.

They had watched Boyle's last parole hearing, in 2011, via video feed from the prison to the parole board's Waterbury office and were relieved his sentence was extended by five years, in part because the board learned he has been corresponding with a teenage girl from his prison cell.

The family said they've been notified that Friday's hearing would take place at 9:30 a.m. at the Brooklyn prison where Boyle is incarcerated.

"To me, if we are able to be in the same room with him, he can't hide from us," said Canfield, who plans to attend with her brother, daughter and friends.

"Ed Boyle murdered my sister, raped the young and old alike and was engaged in predatory behavior from his prison cell," Canfield said. "He clearly remains a threat to women and deserves to remain locked away for as long as legally possible. My brothers and I made a promise to the memory of our sister that we would do whatever we could to see that her murder remained locked away. We can't bring her back, but maybe we can prevent someone else's sister, daughter, granddaughter or grandmother from meeting the same fate as her. We ask that people contact the Board of Pardons and Paroles asking that they reject Boyle's release."

They said the Board of Pardons and Paroles would be accepting information though Tuesday in Boyle's case. Correspondence should include Boyle's inmate No. 97482. The information may be faxed to (203) 805-6652 or emailed to ct.bpp@ct.gov. Calls may be directed to (203) 805-6605.

According to Department of Correction spokeswoman Karen Martucci, Boyle has had just one disciplinary incident during his entire prison career, an infraction dating back to 2004.

k.florin@theday.com

Hide Comments

READER COMMENTS

Loading comments...
Hide Comments

TRENDING

PODCASTS