Make a Difference: Catholic Charities

Make a Difference

Who: U.S. Navy veteran's family with one 6-year-old child and a baby on the way.

Agency: Catholic Charities, 331 Main St., Norwich, CT 06360.

Their situation: A veteran of the U.S. Navy, stationed in New York and currently residing in Groton with his family, had to be discharged for health reasons and is currently unemployed. He and his wife are the proud parents of a little boy, age 6, and another baby on the way.

His wife just recently acquired a part-time job, however, this in not adequate to sustain a family of four. Because they are alone with no other family members close by, the couple is questioning how they would be able to celebrate this holiday season at all.

What to give: Books and toys, baby items or gift cards to local retailers such as Wal-Mart or Target.

To donate: Contact Laura Malone of Catholic Charities at (860) 889-8346, ext. 266.


Loading comments...
Hide Comments

Stories that may interest you

Sacred art, as was saved from Notre Dame, 'is needed in the world'

On Monday, artist Grace Zazzaro was in her studio, putting the finishing touches on the icon she was scheduled to bring to King’s College later in the week. That's when she looked on Facebook and saw that the Paris cathedral was on fire.

Bearing the cross in New London

The Rev. Ranjit K. Mathews, second from right, of St. James Episcopal Church in New London helps Hildy Ziegler, right, and Will Cooper, back, carry the cross on Good Friday on the first leg of the Stations of the Cross in New London.

New London trash task force pitches alternative to yellow bags

A task force charged with exploring the best way for the city to change its habits and increase its recycling rates has some recommendations — and they do not include any yellow garbage bags associated with a controversial pay-as-you-throw program.

Groton, Stonington won't fund North Stonington Road Bridge replacement next year

Neither town has set aside funding for the bridge for fiscal year 2020, but are eyeing fiscal year 2021 as the year it could be replaced.