Court dismisses tribe's lawsuit over highway project
PROVIDENCE, R.I. — A federal judge has dismissed a lawsuit brought by the Narragansett Indian Tribe accusing Rhode Island and the federal government of backing out of a deal to transfer lands to the tribe as compensation for damage done to an ancient village during highway construction.
The Providence Journal reports the court dismissed claims this week against the Federal Highway Administration, the state transportation department and federal and state historic preservation agencies, citing jurisdictional issues.
The dispute stems from a damaged archaeological site buried beneath Interstate 95.
The tribe says the state refused to transfer one of the properties set aside as compensation unless the tribe agreed that it would be subject to state law. They objected, saying that was not part of original deal.
Stories that may interest you
News organizations are going to court in hopes of pulling back the curtain on Harvey Weinstein's next court appearance in his sexual assault case
The developers of a new offshore wind farm are investing $4.5 million in Rhode Island to advance the industry in the state
The lawyer for the driver whose car was fired upon by Hamden and Yale officers last week is waiting for police dashcam and body camera footage to complete the picture, but he said Monday it looks like police opened fire without provocation.
Massachusetts State Police are investigating after a teenager suffered severe injuries after apparently leaping from the fourth-floor interior balcony at a Boston courthouse