Local roundup: Close helps Eastern Connecticut Eagles rally for a 6-5 win
New London — Kevin Close had two goals and two assists as the Eastern CT Eagles rallied for a 6-5 win over Enfield/East Granby/Stafford in a high school hockey game Wednesday night at Dayton Arena.
The Eagles trailed 5-2 midway through the third period before scoring the last four goals of the game. Evan Tower scored twice, Rylin Fowler made 29 saves, Ryan Huta and Kyle Jacobson had a goal and an assist each and Will Cannella and Riley Jordan had assists for the Eagles (5-1).
• Montville won seven matches by pin in a 57-12 win over Waterford. Noah Caskey (132), Ezra Spreng (138), Ian Anderson (147), Sam Kury (152), Caleb Forehand (170), Dane Concascia (182) and Nick Tibbetts (220) won by pin for the Indians (10-2). Sawyer Kury also won a decision at 126. The Lancers are 6-7.
• Norwich Free Academy got four pins and won nine other matches by forfeit in a 78-3 win over East Lyme in an Eastern Connecticut Conference Division I match. CJ Grube (120), Max Jean Chalres (160), Mason McMahan (170) and Kamren Snodgrass (220) had pins for NFA (9-7, 1-1). Everett Minevich won his match at 152 for East Lyme (2-6, 0-1).
• No. 20 Coast Guard had its five-match winning streak snapped, falling to No. 16 WPI 20-12. WPI (8-2) won the last three matches to rally for the win. Owen McGowan (133), JD Fitzpatrick (141), Nick Remke (165) and AJ Aeberli (174) won their matches for Coast Guard (3-1).
• St. Thomas More lost to Pomfret School 86-59. Tyshun Bryant had 14 points and four assists, Cole Turner scored 12 points and Tyler Rudolph had eight points and seven rebounds for T-More.
• Grasso Tech lost to Putnam 85-50. Jon Parra Tobey had 18 points and Tyrell Dennis scored 11 for Grasso Tech (0-5).
• St. Thomas More's junior varsity team beat Williams School 62-53. Zain Alam had 28 points and Colin Madaus scored 13 for Williams.
• Julianna Bonilla scored 19 points as Waterford beat Montville 52-30 in an ECC Division II game. Marylin Childs had 10 points for Waterford (6-3, 1-0) and Emily Meigs led Montville (4-4, 0-2) with 12 points.
• Ashley Burke had 12 points as Putnam beat Wheeler 36-28. Putnam is 8-1. Savannah Galluci scored 9 for the Lions (2-7).
• Nick Comenale had 22 points and three steals to pace Babson past Coast Guard 81-65 in a New England Men’s and Women’s Athletic Conference game. Bradley Jacks had 20 points and four assists for Babson (8-6, 3-0) and reserve Frank Oftring added 16 points and six rebounds. Micah Baldez had 17 points and six rebounds for the Bears (8-4, 0-3) and Nolan Benson had 15 points and five rebounds.
• DJ Mitchell had 21 points and six assists, leading St. Thomas More to an 89-76 win over Mount Zion. Everrette Hammond had 14 points, six rebounds and five assists and Adrian Nunez had 16 points and nine rebounds for the Chancellors (9-6). The win was the 995th of longtime coach Jere Quinn's career at T-More.
• Kylie Caouette scored 19 points as Connecticut College beat Newbury 71-50 in a nonleague game. Dana Muckstadt had a career-high 10 rebounds and three steals, Sami Ashton had 15 points and five rebounds and Casey Walsh had 14 points and five rebounds for Conn (9-3).
Boys' indoor track
• Fitch won three events en route to a second-place finish at the Snowflake Invitational on Tuesday in Middletown. Glastonbury won with 136 points and Fitch scored 72.5. Fitch's Tom Readett won the 1,000 meters in 2:40.53, the team of Tony Figueroa, Chris Holmes, Daeven Morgan and Julius Brown won the 4x200 relay in 1:38.19 and the 4x400 team of Figueroa, Brown, Orlando Galarza and Jackson Meuse won in 3:48.78.
Second places went to Raymond Valentin in the high jump (5-10) and Adrian Atad in the shot put (44-2) while thirds went to Readett in the 1600 (4:49.44) and Marcus Cole in the 55 dash (7.02).
Girls' indoor track
• Fitch had a pair of relay teams finish second at the Snowflake Invitational on Tuesday at Middletown. The 4x200 team of Abby Rogers, Janaya Burley, Lily Johnson and Madison Powe ran a 1:51.97 and the 4x400 team of Ava Paprocki, Kaylah Beauchamp, Paige Pollard and Rogers finished in 4:44.24.
Stories that may interest you
The Coast Guard Academy volleyball won a pair of impressive five-set matches during Saturday's Union Tournament.