H.S. basketball: No. 1 Whalers roll behind Pagan's triple-double
Groton — Tai Pagan had a triple-double to lead top-ranked New London to a 58-15 victory over Fitch in an Eastern Connecticut Conference Division I girls' basketball game Friday night.
Pagan finished with 14 points, 15 rebounds and 10 blocked shots for the Whalers (10-0, 4-0), who led 16-0 after one quarter and were never threatened.
Xaryia Melendez added 13 points and nine rebounds for New London, while Spencer Roman scored 11 points.
Ellie Hoffelder scored six points for Fitch (1-9, 0-2).
In other games:
• Kate Hall scored a career-high 27 points as Stonington rolled to a 62-29 victory over Montville in an ECC Division II game. Hall also had five steals for the Bears (7-3, 3-1), while Miranda Arruda had 15 points, 16 rebounds and four steals and Izzy Yarnall added 14 points and 10 rebounds. Emily Meigs had 10 points and eight rebounds for Montville (4-5, 0-3).
• Savannah Galluci had eight points and eight rebounds during Wheeler's 41-23 loss to Plainfield in ECC Division III play. Molly Butremovic added six points and five rebounds for Wheeler (2-8, 0-5).
• Emily Nelson scored a game-high 23 points and added seven rebounds and six steals, but it wasn't enough as St. Bernard lost to Griswold 39-38 in ECC Division III action. The Wolverines won the game on a basket with five seconds left. Carly Potts had seven points for St. Bernard (3-7, 2-2).
• Britney Deroehn paced Old Lyme with nine points in a 49-28 win over Portland in the Shoreline Conference. Emily Rivera and freshman Emma McCulloch each added eight points for the Wildcats (6-2, 5-2).
• Morgan McNeil (15 points) and Samarie Delgado provided the offense for Grasso Tech in a 51-17 loss to Ellis Tech. The Eagles are 0-9.
• Marie Grillo scored 20 points and Katia Bourganos added 15 points to help Williams School beat Rocky Hill (R.I.) 38-27 and improve to 5-2, 2-1 SENE.
• Norwich Free Academy held Woodstock Academy to only nine points in the first half en route to a 39-25 victory on Thursday night. Kayley Ericson, Sarah Ericson and Makaylah Poirier-Vaughters scored eight points apiece for NFA (3-6), with both Ericson sisters making a pair of 3-pointers.
• Waterford raced out to a 47-18 halftime lead on the way to 95-38 win over Woodstock in ECC Division II. Liam Spellman led the No. 7 Lancers (8-0, 2-0) with 19 points and 11 rebounds while Mikey Buscetto had 22 points and 10 assists and Trevor Yeomans added 14 points and six rebounds.
• Elijah Martinez led four players in double figures with 19 points to help New London to a 78-37 win over Fitch. Gio Lopez added a double-double with 13 points and 12 rebounds and Jalen Benson (11 points) and Elijah Parker (10) also contributed for the Whalers (6-2, 2-1 ECC Division I). Ajia Brown paced Fitch (1-8, 0-2) with 13 points.
• Joseph Beltran scored 21 points, Hunter Baillargeon had 14 points and Max Lee contributed 11 points as St. Bernard beat Griswold 65-59 to remain unbeaten in ECC Division III play. The Saints (8-1, 3-0) led 36-25 at the half.
• Stonington outscored Montville 23-9 in the fourth quarter to pull away with a 59-47 ECC Division II win. Zach Scott led the Bears (6-4, 3-0) with 21 points and teammate RJ Parrilla added 12 points, while John Domijan had 10 points and 17 rebounds for Montville (2-6, 0-2).
• Jacob Cortes paced Grasso Tech (0-6) with 25 points and four assists and teammate Silus Wiggins added 18 points and 11 rebounds in an 85-74 loss to Ellis Tech in the Connecticut Technical Conference.
• Clayton Carini scored seven points in Wheeler's 82-17 loss to Plainfield in an ECC Division III game. Wheeler is 2-7, 0-3.
• Windham Tech rolled to an 81-53 win over Norwich Tech in the CTC. Giovani Yeung scored 11 points for the Warriors and Evender Dorcin finished with 10.
• Williams School suffered a 114-38 loss to Rocky Hill (R.I.). Zain Alam led the Blues with 15 points and August Chapman added seven points.
MOST VIEWED MEDIA