H.S. roundup: Ledyard's Serbascewicz joins 1,000-point club
Hartford — Sarah Serbascewicz scored 26 points, including the 1,000th of her career, as Ledyard beat Weaver 55-49 in a nonleague girls' basketball game on Saturday.
Serbascewicz, a senior guard, entered the game with 992 points. She also had eight assists and was 8-for-8 from the free-throw line in the fourth quarter.
Ledyard, which lost to Weaver 66-50 on Thursday, jumped out to an 18-6 lead after one quarter. And the Colonels (7-10) went 12-for-17 from the line in the fourth quarter to close out the win.
Julia Lavin had 14 points and eight rebounds and Jade Langworthy had seven points and seven steals for Ledyard.
• Trevor Hutchins had a triple-double, but Ledyard lost a heartbreaker at home to Weaver, 76-74 in overtime. Hutchins finished with 28 points, 18 rebounds and 10 blocked shots in a dominating inside performance for the Colonels (8-6) while Devin Rickerson added 21 points and Ken Turner had 10.
• Windham Tech beat Norwich Tech 102-84 in a Connecticut Technical Conference game on Friday night. Brandon Mayersohn scored 27 points for Norwich Tech (4-10).
• Montville's Noah Caskey earned Outstanding Wrestler at the Jacob Bowen Invitational at Woodstock Acacdemy, defeated Ellis Tech's Sean Johnson 3-1 in overtime in a matchup of unbeaten 132-pound wrestlers. Sam Kury (152) also won a title with a 1-0 overtime win. Nick Tibbetts (220) added a second for the Indians while Ezra Spreng (138), Caleb Forehand (170) and Derrick Deveau (285) each placed fourth.
• Fitch's Camden Mason and Faizan Shariff each went 6-0 as the Falcons beat Ledyard 7-2 and Bacon 9-0 in foil. Mason eclipsed with 100-win mark for his career. Bacon beat Ledyard 5-4. Fitch beat Ledyard 7-2 in epee.
• NFA picked up a pair of wins in foil, beating New London 6-3 and St. Bernard 8-1. New London beat St. Bernard 8-1. In epee, St. Bernard beat New London 8-1 and NFA 6-3 while NFA beat New London 9-0.
• East Lyme's Matt Revargum was 6-0 in epee as the Vikings beat Waterford and Griswold, while Waterford beat Griswold. In foil, Ethan Rodig of East Lyme was 6-0 as the Vikings beat Waterford and Griswold and Waterford beat Griswold.
• Fitch picked up a pair of 7-2 wins in foil, topping Ledyard and Bacon. Fitch's Lauren Rusk was 6-0, scoring 30 touches while receiving six and reaching the 100-victory mark for her career. Ledyard beat Bacon 7-2. In epee, Ledyard beat Bacon 5-4, Fitch beat Ledyard 7-2 and Bacon beat Fitch 5-4.
• NFA beat St. Bernard 8-1 in foil, while both teams picked up forfeit wins over New London. St. Bernard beat NFA 5-4 in epee.
• Alex Cole of Waterford was 4-2 in foil as the Lancers beat East Lyme and Griswold and East Lyme beat Griswold. In epee, The Lancers also beat East Lyme and Griswold. Piper Ferris of East Lyme, which beat Griswold, was 6-0.
• The Eastern CT Eagles played to a 5-5 overtime tie with Housatonic/Northwestern Regional/Wamogo on Friday night. Evan Tower had two goals and an assist, Quenten Dean, Kevin Close and Kyle Jacobson had goals, Rylin Fowler made 19 saves and Ryan Huta had an assist for the Eagles (7-2-2).
• A.J. Murko, Joe Vignato and Chase Simao won two events each as Fitch/Stonington/Ledyard/Norwich Tech beat Waterford 92-66 in an ECC meet on Friday. Murko won the 200-yard freestyle (2:00.90) and 100 backstroke (1:03.69), Vignato won the 50 freestyle (25.71) and 100 freestyle (57.40) and Simao won the 200 individual medley (2:20.27) and 100 breastroke (1:12.24). Nathan McKenna also won an event for Fitch (3-1, 3-1) and Keegan Reck, David Magowan and Maxwell Cartier contributed as the Falcons won two relays. Dan Estrin won an event and teamed with Thomas Emery, Clancy Susi and Quinn Ryan to win a relay for Waterford (1-6, 1-5).
MOST VIEWED MEDIA
MOST DISCUSSED STORIES