Local roundup: Schofner, McCoy spark Vikings to victory
Stonington — Connor Schofner had three goals and two assists and James McCoy scored three times as the East Lyme boys’ lacrosse team downed Stonington on Thursday, 15-4.
Alex Jakubczak had two goals and an assist for the Vikings (4-1) and Scott Galbo and Robbie Swenson both had a goal and an assist. Also, Eric Brodeur had eight saves and Mac Fusaro had five saves.
Aaron Lahah had two goals and an assist, Jake Mueller had a goal and an assist, and Sean Peglow scored for the Bears (4-2).
In other games:
• Caleb Holdridge, Logan Bowdish and Kyle Jacobson scored three goals each as Waterford pulled away for a 13-3 win over Fitch. Waterford led 6-3 after three quarters before outscoring Fitch 7-0 in the fourth quarter. Michael LaForte had a goal and three assists, Holdridge had two assists and Jacobson had an assist for Waterford (5-1). Bray Wilson scored twice for Fitch (4-2).
• Matthew Kalashuk had four goals and an assist for Norwich Free Academy in its 10-6 win over Montville. Chris Ladyga had two goals and three assists for NFA (3-4) and Dylan Chapal made 10 saves. Joey Andrews had two goals and an assist, Sean Ventresca had two goals and Noah Caskey and Sam Kury both scored for the Indians (2-5).
• Jacklyn Lavoie had four goals and an assist as Waterford handed Fitch its first loss of the season, winning 12-9. Olivia Gianakos had three goals, Grace Briggs scored twice, Meghan Foley had a goal and an assist and Courtney Dishaw made 18 saves for Waterford (4-1). Maggie O'Leary had three goals and an assist, Zoe Pearse had three goals, Jessica Russo scored twice, Nora Ryan had a goal and an assist and Molly Bresnahan made 18 saves for Fitch (4-1).
• Kayley Ericson had four goals and an assist in Norwich Free Academy's 15-6 win over Montville. Jess Bryan had four goals and Ria Kilimos and G.G. Guerrier each added two for the Wildcats (6-3). Alexis Delucia had five goals for the Indians (1-5).
• Anthony Mozzicato pitched a two-hitter with 11 strikeouts as East Catholic beat NFA 6-1. East Catholic is 6-2 and NFA is 1-6.
• Matt Malcom's homer in the top of the seventh inning snapped a 4-4 tie and lifted East Lyme to a 5-4 win over Ledyard in an Eastern Connecticut Conference Division I game on Wednesday. Trystan Levesque and Malcom had two hits each and Chris Malcom scored twice for East Lyme (5-2, 3-0). Weston Bruce was 3-for-4 with a double, Max Ebdon had two hits and Ken Turner scored twice for Ledyard (2-4, 1-1).
• Connecticut College lost to Babson in a nonleague match, 7-2. Rachel Weiss won at No. 5 singles for Conn (2-7) while teammates Brinley Bartlett and Meredith Kenny won at No. 3 doubles.
Stories that may interest you
The UConn football team has entered into an agreement with Boston College to play a home-and-home series with the Eagles, beginning in the 2022 season.
"We're the loudest. We're the goofiest. We were the ones having fun," said New London resident India Pagan of the Puerto Rican women's basketball team, which won the bronze medal at the Pan Am Games earlier this month. "It's special, honestly."