Support journalism that matters to you

Since COVID-19 impacts us all and we want everyone in our community to have the important information they need, we have decided to make all coronavirus related stories free to read on While we are providing free access to articles, they are not free to produce. The newsroom is working long hours to provide you the news and information you need during this health emergency. Please consider supporting our work by subscribing or donating.

Arrest made in fatal Griswold fire

Montville — State police have made an arrest in connection with the December 2017 Griswold fire that killed a husband and wife.

Ruth Correa, 23, of 1630 Main Street, 1002, Hartford, was charged Saturday with three counts of murder, murder with special circumstances, first-degree arson, and first-degree robbery. She is being held on a $2.5 million court-set bond and is due to appear in Norwich Superior Court on Monday.

On Dec. 20, 2017, state police responded to a fully-engulfed house fire at 70 Kenwood Estates in Griswold. The remains of the homeowners, Janet Lindquist, 61, and Kenneth Lindquist, 56, were found inside the residence after the fire was extinguished, according to police.

State police detectives from the Fire and Explosion Investigation Unit and Eastern District Major Crime began investigating.

That same morning, there was an abandoned car fire at 40 Nanel Drive in Glastonbury. Through the course of the initial investigation, state police detectives found that the vehicle was associated with the Griswold house fire.

The next day, on Dec. 21, detectives developed a person of interest in the Griswold fire.

On May 5, at approximately 9:23 a.m., state police from Troop E-Montville responded to the area of Kenwood Road in Griswold after human remains were found in the woods.

Members of the Eastern District Major Crime investigated. The decreased was determined to be Matthew Lindquist, 21, the son of Kenneth and Janet.

On May 11, 2018, EDMC Detectives, with the assistance of the Hartford Police Department, served two search and seizure warrants at addresses in Hartford. Detectives seized numerous items of evidence and conducted several interviews, according to police. Detectives applied for and were granted an arrest warrant for Correa.

The investigation still is ongoing and police anticipate additional arrests.


Loading comments...
Hide Comments