Cigarette ignited Stonington inn fire

Get the weekly rundown
Sign up to receive our weekly Legal Insider newsletter

Stonington — An investigation has determined that a cigarette blown by an air conditioner onto a bed ignited the fire that damaged three units at the Cove Ledge Inn and Marina on Route 1 early Sunday night.

Firefighters from Wequetequock and Stonington Borough responded to the 6:30 p.m. fire and quickly extinguished it. No one was injured.

Pawcatuck Fire Chief and Fire Marshal Kevin Burns said Tuesday that a guest visiting a person staying in one of the units had placed a lit cigarette in an ashtray on a bed. The breeze then blew the cigarette onto the bed. Burns said the unit sustained structural damage while two adjacent units sustained smoke damage.

j.wojtas@theday.com

READER COMMENTS

Loading comments...
Hide Comments

Stories that may interest you

Administrator suing New London schools, claims defamation

School administrator Alison Burdick is suing the superintendent, the Board of Education and the magnet school director for what her lawyer says is a witch hunt that has caused tremendous damage to her reputation.


Police logs - May 23, 2019

Arrests by state police and local departments around the region.


Waterbury man headed to trial in casino counterfeit case

Raikes Delacruz-Gomez had been permanently ejected from the casino in 2009 and was using a fake player's card when he allegedly played tables games with $1,900 in counterfeit currency.


Casino staff puts out fire at Mohegan Sun

No one injured in incident in Sky Tower, casino spokesman says.

TRENDING

PODCASTS