Local colleges: CGA men, women win Purchase Invite team titles
Purchase, N.Y. — The Coast Guard men's cross country team placed all seven runners in the top 10 to take first place and a point towards the Superintendent's Trophy at the Purchase Invitational on Saturday.
Combined with the points earned by the women's cross country and men's soccer teams, the Bears have 3-0 lead on Merchant Marine in the race for the Superintendent's Trophy.
Coast Guard scored 18 points for first place followed by Merchant Marine with 49 and SUNY Maritime with 103.
Coast Guard took the top three spots as Andre Gallant crossed the line in 27:39.63 for first place. In second and third place were teammates Colton Atkinson (27:46.21) and Adam VanDeren (27:48.10). Matt Doyle took fifth place (27:54.34) for the Bears while Alex Kearney (27:59.53) and Ryan Von Brock (28:01.15) finished in seventh and eighth place and Jacob McGlumphy (28:34.07) rounded out the top 10.
Women's cross country
• Coast Guard swept the top seven spots for first place at the Purchase Invite. Coast Guard scored the lowest possible points with 15 for first place followed by Merchant Marine with 68 and Mount Saint Mary with 138.
Sophomore Kaitlyn Mooney crossed the line in first place (23:39.66) for her eighth consecutive top five finish to start her career at the Academy. Freshman Laurel Felt was second at 23:58.87, Olivia Suski was third (24:28.66), Anita Green was fourth (24:33.07), Kirsten Carson was fifth (24:34.15), Emma Sims was sixth (24:45.90) and Maeve Roach was seventh (24:48.66).
• Coast Guard improved to 8-1 with a pair of wins at the CGA/Conn College tournament, beating Salve Regina 3-1 and Oneonta 3-0. Freshman Amanda Dake had 24 kills, including 16 in a 25-18, 25-23, 17-25, 28-26 win over Salve Regina. Angelou Dunton and Bridget Boyle had 14 kills each against Salve and Makenna Martin had 15 assists in a 25-15, 26-24, 25-22 win over Oneonta.
• Conn College was 1-1 at the CGA/Conn College tournament. Conn (3-2) beat Western Connecticut 25-21, 27-25, 25-17 and lost to Maine Maritime 25-23, 25-22, 25-22. Emma Hewlin had 21 kills, Grace McGee had 62 assists and Elle Kass had 76 digs in the two matches for Conn.
• Matt Butera scored off a free kick in the 89th minute as Conn College beat Middlebury 1-0 in a New England Small College Athletic Conference game. Ben Manoogian assisted on the goal and AJ Marcucci made seven saves for Conn (2-0, 2-0).
• Freshman Robbie Fugett's second-half goal led Coast Guard to a 1-0 win over Merchant Marine. Greg Burnham assisted on the goal for Coast Guard (1-1-2).
• Coast Guard dropped its first game of the season, losing to host Drew 1-0 at the Drew College tournament. Freshman Katharina Commins made three saves for Coast Guard (2-1).
• Conn College lost to Middlebury 2-0 in the NESCAC opener for both teams. Kate Pelletier (7) and Sarah Williams combined for 11 saves for Conn (1-1).
• Mitchell lost to Northern Vermont-Lyndon 5-0. Drew Johndrow made 11 saves for Mitchell (0-4).
• Coast Guard's Arthur Wicke and Lucas Arora won the C flight at the season-opening Stonehill Doubles tournament. They beat Conn College 8-3, Eastern Nazaren 8-2 and Stonehill 8-5. Tom Hackett and Jack Phillips of Coast Guard were second in A flight and teammates Kyle Fager and Chris Lansing were second in B flight.
• Conn College dropped its NESCAC opener, losing to Middlebury 4-0. Jackie Mountford (8) and Andi McGraw combined for 13 saves for Conn (0-2).
Stories that may interest you
Monday's local sports schedule
Jack Rutter and Jordan Foster scored seven goals each as the Connecticut College men's lacrosse team beat Colorado College 23-12 on Sunday.