H.S. soccer: Montville girls open season with easy win
Montville — Lauren Velazquez and Michaela MacCracken scored two goals each as the Montville High School girls' soccer team beat Tourtellotte 6-0 Tuesday in its season opener.
Alexis Meehan had a goal and two assists and Kara Beaupre scored for Montville, which led 2-0 at halftime. Montville outshot Tourtellotte 16-2.
In other games:
• Meredith Healy scored early in the second overtime, converting in the midst of a scrum in front of the net, to lift East Lyme past Ledyard 2-1. Phoebe Provencher gave East Lyme (1-2) a 1-0 lead at the 56-minute mark, but Ledyard's Abby Millbach tied it with 2:03 to play, forcing the overtime. Avery Owen made 10 saves for East Lyme. Ledyard is 0-2.
• Sophomore Vanessa Benjamin scored four goals as Stonington beat Putnam 8-0. Jessica Detwiler, Holly Foster, Rachel Sabbadini and Corinne Steeno also scored for the Bears (1-1).
• Victoria Hannaford and Halie Jennings scored two goals each as St. Bernard beat Windham 5-1. Caroline Codner had a goal and an assist, Lindsay Clement had two assists and Elizabeth Hannaford had an assist for the Saints (2-0). Carly Potts and Olivia Massad combined for five saves for St. Bernard.
• Ivy Gelhaus scored with three minutes left in the second half as Woodstock Academy beat Waterford 1-0. Irene Askitis made six saves for Waterford (1-1), including one in the final 30 seconds off a free kick.
• Norwich Tech/Holy Family lost to Platt Tech in a Connecticut Technical Conference game. Taylor Bogle scored for Norwich Tech (0-2).
• Kurt Mahlke scored the game's only goal with 15 minutes remaining to lift unbeaten East Lyme to a 1-0 victory over Ledyard. Alec Kosinski assisted on the goal, which came only five minutes after Ledyard goalie Ken Turner stopped a penalty kick. Turner finished with six saves for the Colonels (1-1) while Sumeal Lall stopped five shots for the Vikings (3-0).
• Micheal Quinn had a goal and an assist as Hale-Ray scored two goals in the final 16 minutes to beat Old Lyme 2-0 in the Shoreline Conference. Goalie Ryan Tetreault made four saves for Old Lyme (0-2, 0-1), which was outshot 12-6.
• Kevin Vazquez scored three goals as Grasso Tech beat Vinal Tech 6-1 in a CTC game. Rojuan Henry, Jorge Serrano and Josh Asalade had goals, Francisco Colon, Kevin Duarte and Silus Wiggins had assists and Joel Potter made three saves for Grasso (1-1).
Stories that may interest you
Ledyard High School named Allyn Quibble head wrestling coach and Tim Strong boys' outdoor track coach on Tuesday, as announced by athletic director and assistant principal Jim Buonocore.