H.S. roundup: Waterford boys hand Stonington first soccer loss
Waterford — Robbie Negahban's goal in the second sudden death overtime lifted Waterford to a stunning 2-1 boys' soccer victory over previously unbeaten Stonington on Saturday.
The Bears (8-1) had allowed only one goal in their first eight games until the Lancers (3-6) scored two, both by Negahban.
His first goal, a 30-yard blast on a direct kick, broke a scoreless tie, and his second came on a header off a Jose Guervara-Gomez corner kick in the second overtime.
Stonington had forced overtime on a goal by Sam Montalto, assisted by Jamison Magowan, with 6:32 left in regulation.
Waterford goalie A.J. Sachatello made seven saves while Peter Fernholz stopped four shots for the Bears.
In other games:
• Ledyard rallied with a pair of second-half goals to defeat Old Lyme 2-1 in a non-conference game. After Rich Damiano (assisted by Peter Sherman) gave the Wildcats a 1-0 lead in the 10th minute, the Colonels (7-1) responded with two goals during an 11 minute span in the second half. Ian Kamperschroer's 30-yard blast tied the game in the 62nd minute (Cole Dirico assisted) and Nick Washington converted Kamperschroer's corner kick 11 minutes later for the game-winner. Ken Turner made four saves in goal for Ledyard and Old Lyme's Ryan Tetreault stopped 10 shots.
• St. Bernard broke things open with four goals in the second half to rout Griswold 6-0. Tenzin Jamphel scored twice for the Saints (5-2) while Shane Sutton, Billy Niles, Burke Niles and Aiden Jakubielski each scored once. St. Bernard goalie Martin Arvidson made two saves.
• Victoria Hannaford's goal with just a minute left in the first half broke a 2-2 tie and lifted St. Bernard to a 3-2 win over Tourtellotte. Elizabeth Hannaford had a goal and an assist for the Saints (5-3), Halie Jennings scored a goal, Lindsay Clement had two assists and goalie Olivia Massad made nine saves.
• Ivy Gelhaus had four goals and two assists to lead Woodstock to an 8-1 win over Ledyard. Abigail DeRico scored for the Colonels (3-4).
• Claudia Blazquez had two goals and an assist to held Waterford defeat Fitch 5-0. Julia Karlberg added a goal and an assist for the Lancers (3-4), Faith Cervera and Khay Hatcher each scored a goal and Riva Blinderman, Ciana Chiappone and Julia Florek each added assists. Francesca Foster made 11 saves for the Falcons (1-6), who were outshot 18-3.
• Old Lyme and Valley Regional battled to a 2-2 tie in the Shoreline Conference. Danielle McCarthy and Mya Johnson scored goals for the Wildcats (2-1-3), Caroline Wallace had an assist and goalies Sam Gray and Grace Coverdale combined for two saves.
• Plainfield scored a pair of goals in the first half en route to a 3-0 victory over East Lyme. Avery Owen made 22 saves in goal for the Vikings (2-5-1), who were outshot 25-4.
• Stonington built a 3-0 lead before holding off Woodstock 4-2. Miranda Arruda had two goals and two assists for the Bears (6-0-1, 5-0), including an insurance goal with 6:52 left after Woodstock had pulled to within 3-2. Ellie Korinek also scored for the Bears while Casey Boumenot added an assist.
• Julia Bole scored twice as McMahon defeated Fitch/Ledyard 3-0. Hailie Kesterson made three saves in goal for the Falcons (2-5).
Boys' cross country
• Fitch had a solid showing at the Frank Kelley Invitational in Wrentham, Mass., finishing fifth among 25 teams in the Open Division I with 189 points. Ian Poe was the Falcons' top finisher, placing ninth in 17:40 over the 5K course. Ryan Poe finished 17th in 17:55 followed by Shean Kenney (49th, 18:40), Dan Gaiewski (56th, 18:46) and Carson Riley (64th, 18:58). Brookine, Mass., won the team titel with 63.
Stories that may interest you
St. Joseph's defense allowed just seven first downs as the No. 2 team in The Day's coaches' poll knocked off No. 1 Hand 17-13 on Saturday to win the CIAC Class L title before a huge crowd at Willow Brook Park.
On the final day of the football season, Killingly got to feel what every one of its opponents felt this season.
A team-by-team capsule look at the upcoming high school girls' basketball season: