Local roundup: Linda Spooner wins Strides 10K race
Waterford — Linda Spooner of Sturbridge, Mass., won the Jack O'Keefe Memorial Strides 10K Road Race on Sunday.
Spooner's winning time was 43:49, Becky Iselin of Chester was second at 45:45 and Matt Hargus of Pawcatuck was third at 46:55, the top male finisher.
Michael Vesci of Newington won the 5K race in a time of 17:09 while top female finisher Brandy LeClair of Groton was second at 18:18.
In the 10K, the top 10 also included George Adrian of Groton (47:02), Pam Dolan of Mystic (47:51), John McGrane of Farmington (48:19), Carlye Anderson of Waterford (49:34), Jessica Lynn Pereplyotchik of West Springfield, Mass. (50:40), Anni Rogers of Mystic (51:05) and Joise Sosa of South Hadley, Mass. (51:15).
Jeff Walker of Groton was third in the 5K with a time of 18:43, followed by Cindy Ouillette of Moosup (19:58), Mike Weckwerth of Norwich (21:36), Cameron Weber of Ledyard (21:53), Lori Gatheral of Waterford (22:04), Jeff Kotecki (22:22), Jack Houdeshell of Ledyard (22:42) and Aubrey Coutu of Lebanon (22:49).
College field hockey
• Ali McCarthy scored twice to lead No. 5 Princeton to a 5-2 win over No. 3 UConn. Svea Boker and Antonia Tiedtke had second-half goals for UConn (11-2) and Abby Gooderham assisted on Tiedtke's goal. Clara Roth had a goal and an assist for Princeton (10-3).
• No. 24 UConn beat Cincinnati 3-0 on Saturday night in an American Athletic Conference game. Abdou Mbacke Thiam, Cole Venner and Steffen Yeates had goals for the Huskies (6-2-1, 2-0-1) while Dylan Greenberg and Ibrahima Diop had assists.
Men's water polo
• Connecticut College dropped a pair of games on Saturday, falling to Whittier 20-5 and Occidental 15-10 in the Gary Troyer tournament at Claremont, Calif. Lucas Verrill had a goal, an assist and three steals against Whittier and Mike Gertsik scored three goals against Occidental.
• Bob Gironimi had a hole-in-one in the Par 4 tournament held at Shennecossett Golf Course on Saturday. It happened on the 12th hole with an 8-iron. Witnesses were Jon Silva, Sonny Corallino and Glen Graham.
• The Great Neck Country Club men's invitational is Sunday, Oct. 21, with a shotgun start at 9:30 a.m. You may enter as an individual, twosome, threesome or foursome, fee is $60 per player. Awards for individual gross and net, but players must have a valid handicap to be eligible for net prizes. Entry forms must be received by Oct. 17 and the field is limited to 120 players. Contact: Kevin Shea, email@example.com, (860) 439-1524.
Stories that may interest you
Kona Quiggle hit a two-run home run as the Connecticut Tigers beat the Vermont Lake Monsters on Tuesday night, 6-3, in a New York-Penn League game.
Nolan Kessinger (UMass) had two hits, including a grand slam in the fourth inning, to help the Mystic Schooners thump the Ocean State Waves 12-4 on Monday night in a New England Collegiate Baseball League game.