H.S. roundup: Old Lyme girls edge Coginchaug 49-47
Old Lyme — Old Lyme won for the seventh time in its last eight games with a 49-47 win over Coginchaug in a Shoreline Conference girls' basketball game on Tuesday night.
Britney DeRoehn and Emma McCulloch scored 14 points each for the Wildcats (9-4, 7-4).
In other games:
• Gaby Kramer scored 15 points and Julianna Bonilla added 11 in Waterford's 40-28 win over Ledyard in Eastern Connecticut Conference Division II action. The Lancers improved to 5-8, 2-3. Samantha Money had 10 points and Miranda Chesnut added seven points and seven rebounds for the Colonels (4-9, 0-4).
• Ashley Williams scored 11 points and Ashlyn Bill had eight points in Norwich Tech's 57-25 loss to Prince Tech in the Connecticut Technical Conference. The Warriors dropped to 3-10, 2-3.
• St. Bernard fell behind to Putnam by three at halftime and never recovered, losing 36-24 in ECC Division IV. Emily Nelson led the Saints (5-8, 1-4) with 10 points.
• Old Lyme closed the first quarter on a 6-0 run, then dominated the second quarter to pull away for a 63-44 victory over Coginchaug in the Shoreline Conference. The Wildcats (10-1, 8-0), who won their eighth straight, led 9-8 when they took charge. They led 15-9 after the first quarter and extended the lead to 31-14 by outscoring Coginchaug 16-6 in the second. Aden Using finished with 15 points and nine rebounds, Brady Sheffield scored 15 points and Jared Ritchie added a double-double — 12 points and 10 rebounds.
• JJ Brennan scored 17 points in Waterford's 76-62 win over Woodstock Academy in ECC Division II. Payton Sutman had 14 points and Liam Spellman added seven points and 14 rebounds for the Lancers (11-1, 4-0), the No. 7 ranked team in the state.
• Fitch ran out to a 26-point halftime lead on the way to a 68-26 win over Bacon Academy in ECC Division II. DJ Beaudet led the way with 13 points while Kiev Lucas chipped in 12 points and Ajia Brown added 10 for the Falcons (6-5, 3-1).
• Max Lee scored 18 points to lead St. Bernard past Windham 72-56 in ECC Division III action. DeAndre Williams and Joe Beltran each added 13 points for the Saints (8-3, 3-0).
• Bobby Hahn and Ryan Huang won two events each as East Lyme beat Norwich Free Academy 96-75 in an ECC meet. Hahn won the 200-yard freestyle (2:01.28) and 100 backstroke (1:01.42) and Huang won the 50 freestyle (24.82) and 500 freestyle (5:25.63). John Walsh of East Lyme (5-1, 4-1) won diving and teammates Eric Gu, Jack Zhang, Hawken Hammen, Erik Stelter, Ryan Goolsbey, Aden Lu, Huang and Hahn teamed up to give the Vikings a sweep of the three relays. Jeffrey Ng, Noah McMahon, Wyatt Gordan and Cole Patnoad won events for NFA (2-2, 2-2).
Stories that may interest you
The worldwide COVID-19 pandemic has created challenges for state high school football players looking to get recruited to contine their careers in college.
Six local players, including two each from Lyman Memorial and Montville, were named to the 2020 Connecticut High School Coaches' Association Class S all-state boys' soccer team, which was released on Wednesday.