Local roundup: East Lyme wins battle of swimming unbeatens over Fitch/Stonington/New London
Groton — Grace Vlaun (100-yard freestyle, 200 freestyle), Nikki Hahn (200 individual medley, 100 breaststroke) and Katie Keating (50 freestyle, 100 butterfly) each won two individual events as the East Lyme High School swim team topped Fitch/Stonington/New London 92-68 Tuesday in an Eastern Connecticut Conference meet.
East Lyme (4-0, 4-0) swept the three relays. Hiruni Jayawickreme, Hahn, Keating and Sandra Kirvelevicius took the 200 medley relay; Vlaun, Lauren Hinckley, Grace Liu and Anna Lu won the 200 freestyle relay; and Keating, Lu, Hahn and Vlaun were first in the 400 free relay.
Lu added a victory in the 500 freeestyle.
Delaney Reck won the 100 backstroke for previously unbeaten Fitch (3-1, 3-1).
In other meets:
• Lily Watson won the 100-meter butterfly and 100 breaststroke as Waterford defeated Lyman Memorial/Windham/Parish Hill 97-52 in the ECC. Erin Gerboth (200 freestyle), Viviana Martinez (200 individual medley), Camille Caldrello (diving) and Elyse Gathy (100 backstroke) also won events for the Lancers (3-2, 3-1).
• Tessa Finnegan and Katey Truncale won two events each as Ledyard picked up its first win of the season, beating NFA 90-80 in an ECC meet. Finnegan won the 100 freestyle (1:05.39) and 50 freestyle (29.16) and Truncale won the 100 backstroke (1:16.47) and 500 freestyle (6:35.34). Robin Zemlo won the 100 butterfly for Ledyard (1-4, 1-3) and teamed with Alexandria Martinez-Garcia, Jillian Anderson and Katelyn Hughes to win the 200 freestyle relay.
Gloria Ng and Sophia Tung won events for NFA (1-4, 1-3), which won two relays thanks to the efforts of Dylan Levine, Riley Levine, Tung and Ng.
H.S. boys' soccer
• Eric Leuchner scored a pair of goals as Fitch beat Waterford 4-0 in an ECC Division II game. Alex DelCampo had a goal and an assist, Sebastian Duffy scored a goal, Caleb Robbins and Timmy Lynch had assists and Ramiro Zavalo made three saves for Fitch (7-2, 4-0). AJ Sachatello made six saves for Waterford (3-3-1, 2-2).
• Wheeler rallied from a 2-0 halftime deficit to earn a 2-2 tie with St. Bernard in an ECC Division IV game. Scott Pion scored twice and Bowen Baker made four saves for Wheeler (3-3-1, 3-0-1). Billy Niles had both goals for St. Bernard (2-2-2, 2-0-2) and teammate Martin Arvidson made 15 saves.
• Norwich Tech and Grasso Tech played to a 0-0 tie in a Connecticut Technical Conference game. Joel Potter made 14 saves for Grasso (3-2-1) and Jarred Schrader made five saves for Norwich Tech (2-3-2).
• Nick Washington scored three goals as Ledyard beat Bacon Academy 8-1 in an ECC Division II game. Daimon Pollard scored twice for Ledyard (6-1, 3-1).
H.S. field hockey
• Jessica Russo scored four goals to lead Fitch to a 5-1 win over Killingly in an ECC game. Haley Rodgers scored a goal and Hailie Kesterson made two saves for Fitch (5-5, 3-3).
• Molly Quiles assisted on both goals as Waterford won its first game of the season, beating Woodstock Academy 2-0 in an ECC game. Sophia Hathaway scored in the first half and Kasey Kirchoff had a second-half goal for the Lancers (1-6, 1-4).
• Olivia Monte scored twice for Stonington and Sandy McGugan and Dillon Griscom each had a goal and an assist as the Bears blanked Norwich Free Academy 7-0 in the ECC. Ellie Korinek, Sophia Fernholz and Alex Fidrych also scored for Stonington (5-2, 5-0), which led 3-0 at halftime. NFA is 0-7, 0-5.
• Hale-Ray rallied from an 0-2 deficit to beat Old Lyme 3-2 in a Shoreline Conference match, winning 24-26, 20-25, 25-11, 25-7, 15-6. Taylor Thompson had seven kills and four blocks, Leah Fouquette had nine digs and Maddie Cann had nine digs for Old Lyme (2-6).
• Gio Ottomanelli scored twice as Coast Guard beat Westfield State 5-0 for its third straight win. Robbie Fugett had a goal and an assist, Daniel Taglianetti had two assists and Brock Hassett and John DiTommaso scored goals for Coast Guard (6-4).
• Amanda Dake had a career-high 26 kills as Coast Guard beat Springfield 12-25, 25-17, 22-25, 25-14, 15-10 in a New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference match. Bridget Boyle and Angelou Dunton had 11 kills each, Noelle Tursky had 10 kills, 15 digs and 26 assists, Veronica Hine had 21 digs and Makenna Martin had 30 assists for Coast Guard (12-4, 4-1).
• Mitchell College shot its lowest round of the season, but finished third with 335 behind Elms 319 and Albertus Magnus 324. Ryan Sember of Albertus Magnus won with a 4-over-par 75 at Shennecossett Golf Course. Mitchell's Michael McCarthy was tied for second at 77 followed by Michael Izzo (84), Christopher Ronzello (88), Nick Knisel (86) and Jakob Margetta (100).
Stories that may interest you
The 2020 Eastern Connecticut Conference girls' basketball tournament begins on Wednesday with three first-round games.