Make a Difference: Norwich Human Services
WHO: Joanne and Leah
AGENCY: Norwich Human Services
SITUATION: They lived in a Norwich apartment for about a year. While they were away, their dog jumped up on the gas stove and turned a knob, igniting a flame, which eventually burned down their house and the apartment below it. The pets, a dog, two cats and a snake, died. Both are avid animal lovers and Leah works as a dog groomer at PetCo. Joanne and Leah lost all their belongings in the fire. They are trying to rebuild their lives and have found a new apartment but have little to no furnishings, clothing and personal care items. They did not have renters insurance for the apartment that burned down but have it for the new apartment.
WHAT TO GIVE: They would be very grateful to receive gift cards to Walmart, Stop & Shop and Amazon to help rebuild their lives. Please send donations to Norwich Human Services, Norwich City Hall, 100 Broadway, Norwich CT 06360, marked “Make a Difference.”
Stories that may interest you
Drug overdose deaths continued to rise in the New London and Norwich last year, a sobering fact that local health and social services advocates say is a sad reminder that the fight against the opioid addiction crisis is ongoing.
The main building is listed on the town's historic house inventory as the "Flowers House."
Commissioner responses to the auditor's recommendations were compiled into a memo ahead of the February meeting.
In fiscal year 2016, the state received $10.7 billion through 55 federal programs.
|More 'Make A Difference' stories|