Support Local News.

At a moment of historic disruption and change with the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, the calls for social and racial justice and the upcoming local and national elections, there's never been more of a need for the kind of local, independent and unbiased journalism that The Day produces.
Please support our work by subscribing today.

Man wanted on animal cruelty charges arrested after suspected theft at New London business

Get the weekly rundown
Sign up to receive our weekly Legal Insider newsletter

New London — A man wanted on animal cruelty charges was charged Friday after he fled and resisted officers who were investigating a suspected theft at a New London business, police say.

Police responded to Blu-Prints Unlimited at 20 Howard St. about 3:55 p.m. on Friday for reports of a person trying to steal from the business and run away. Officers located the suspect, 23-year-old Marquis Boney, and attempted to place him under arrest. Boney resisted and struggled with police before being taken into custody, according to the New London Police Department.

Boney, of 36 Riozzi Court, was wanted on a warrant for cruelty to animals charges following an incident that occurred earlier in the week, police said.

On July 13, officers responded to the area of 490 Jefferson Ave. after receiving a report of a dog in distress, police said.

Officers were informed that the dog was being mistreated by a man. When they arrived, they found the dog with Boney, whom officers were familiar with from previous encounters, police said.

The dog appeared to be in distress, with visible injuries and "mistreatment associated with the heat," according to Capt. Brian Wright of the New London Police Department.

The dog was brought to an emergency veterinarian by an animal control officer. "Despite efforts and given the dog's condition, the dog was euthanized by the vet to prevent further suffering," Wright said in an email.

Boney was charged with cruelty to animals and with assault on a police officer and interfering with an officer following the incident Friday.

In June, he was charged with second-degree breach of peace and second-degree criminal mischief and released on a $500 bond, court records show.

He was being held on a $7,500 bond on the animal cruelty charges and another $7,500 bond in connection with the assault and interference charges. He is scheduled to appear in court in New London for all charges on Aug. 14, records show.


Loading comments...
Hide Comments