Cigarette causes blaze in Groton City basement, 7 displaced
Groton — Seven people were displaced after a discarded cigarette lit a couch on fire in a Groton City home, according to fire officials.
The fire was sparked about 8:25 a.m. by in the basement of the two-family home at 74 Ledyard Ave., according to Deputy Chief Edward Sargent of the City of Groton Fire Department.
The fire was contained to the basement, where no one was living. Residents of the apartments on the first and second floors had evacuated by the time firefighters arrived and were in the backyard.
The American Red Cross is assisting the seven residents. No injuries were reported.
Firefighters broke all the basement windows before entering the house as heavy black smoke poured out.
The basement sustained heavy fire, smoke and water damage and there was smoke damage on the first floor. A pipe in the basement that burst due to the heat of the fire poured water onto the flaming couch, extinguishing much of the fire, Sargent said.
The department was assisted by the Poquonnock Bridge, Electric Boat and submarine base fire departments.
Parts of Ledyard Avenue were closed Wednesday morning between Mitchell Street and Smith Street as firefighters investigated, according to Groton City police.
Stories that may interest you
A Montville man has been sentenced to four years and four months in prison for robbing Eastern Savings Bank at 666 W. Main St. in Norwich in 2019.
A man shot himself in the foot at the Niantic Sportsmen’s Club on Wednesday night, according to police.
A Navy sailor was assaulted at a pizza restaurant in Berlin over the weekend in an attack that was caught on video.
Anthony Todt appeared in court via a video call Wednesday morning.