Support Local News.

We've been with you throughout the pandemic, the vaccinations and the reopening of schools, businesses and communities. There's never been more of a need for the kind of local, independent and unbiased journalism that The Day produces.
Please support our work by subscribing today.

Passerby alerts officials to fire at New London restaurant

Get the weekly rundown
Sign up to receive our weekly Legal Insider newsletter

New London — A person who was walking down Bank Street early Wednesday morning alerted the fire department to smoke inside a downtown New London restaurant.

A fire sparked in the kitchen at Mambo Bar and Restaurant was reported by the good Samaritan, who walked over to the fire department headquarters about 5:30 a.m. to tell firefighters they'd seen smoke, according to New London Fire Department Chief Thomas Curcio.

Curcio said firefighters had to force entry into the basement, where they found a small fire contained to the stove.

The chief said he believes the fire was caused by an oven that was left on with food in it.

It was not clear if, or for how long, the restaurant would be closed.


Loading comments...
Hide Comments