Local roundup: Strain leads Griswold to a pair of wins in boys XC
Norwich — Michael Strain of Griswold won the race and the Wolverines picked up a pair of wins against Eastern Connecticut Conference Division I boys' cross country teams on Wednesday.
Griswold (8-1) beat NFA 27-29 and Woodstock Academy 22-34. NFA (8-2, 2-1) beat Woodstock 27-30.
Strain won in a time of 17:35 and his brothers Lucas Strain (fourth, 17:51) and Jacob Strain (sixth, 18:17) weren't far behind. Also scoring for Griswold were Jackson Collins (eighth, 19:16) and Francesco Rabbi (15th, 20:05).
Ethan Manfredi of NFA was second (17:47) and teammate Tyler Crabb was third (17:49).
In other meets:
• Tyler Boissevain of Williams School came in second in a co-ed meet against Eagle Hill School with a time of 19:34. Other top finishers for the Blues were Ryan Tedeschi (eighth, 22:25), Helen Godshall (11th, 23:39) and William Palmer (12th, 23:54).
• Bacon Academy took four of the top five spots in a 21-38 win over Lyman Memorial on Tuesday. Ryan Moores won the race with a time of 18:42.5, Carson Brown was third (20:09), Aaron Firdych was fourth (20:31) and Nick Lang was fifth (20:33). Caleb Arbuckle clinched the win for Bacon (6-2) with an eighth-place finish (20:50). Grayson LeMay of Lyman (4-3) was second in 18:42.7.
H.S. girls' cross country
• NFA lost to Woodstock 22-37 in an ECC Division I meet and beat Griswold 15-45. Linsey Arends of Woodstock won the race in 22:11 as the Centaurs beat Griswold (3-5) 15-50. Sophia Jones was second in 22:44 for NFA (6-4, 1-2) and Anna Ricketts finished fourth (23:07).
• Bacon Academy beat Lyman Memorial 15-50 on Tuesday. Jordan Malloy of Bacon won the race with a time of 21:18. Also making the top five for Bacon (5-3) were Tess Mathieu (third, 24:26) and Caylin Davids (fifth, 26:16). Helen Blakeslee of Lyman (0-6) was second (23:06) and teammate Kristen Goodrich was fourth (26:06).
• Fallon Bailey and Callie Nanos each had 13 kills as Lyman Memorial swept Waterford 25-22, 25-16, 25-17 in an ECC Division II match. Kassidy LaTour had six aces for Lyman (6-2, 1-0). Kate Lange had five kills and 12 digs, Marina Colonis had five kills and Izzi Fraser had 11 assists for the Lancers (6-6, 1-2).
• Rita Sefransky had 40 assists as Fitch rallied to beat NFA 14-25, 25-19, 15-25, 25-18, 15-12 in an ECC Division I match. Katie Tuohy and Annalyn Cahill combined for 25 kills for Fitch (10-2, 3-1). Morgan Tainter had 32 assists, Nicole Rios had 45 digs and Molly Plecan had 25 kills and three blocks for the Wildcats (2-8, 0-3).
• Skylar Bell had 10 digs and four kills as East Lyme swept Woodstock Academy 25-11, 25-19, 25-23 in an ECC Division I match. The Vikings are 10-3, 3-0.
• Nalyce Dudley had eight kills and five digs as New London beat Wheeler 25-16, 25-18, 25-20 in an ECC Division IV match. Stacey Rivera had seven assists and 15 digs, Yarielis Ortiz had 10 digs, Chrismaela Bouquet had five digs, Je'Licia Rivera had four kills and Kmara Royster had two blocks for New London (9-3, 4-0).
• Autumn Lovett had nine assists as Norwich Tech swept Ellis Tech 25-13, 25-15, 25-18 in a Connecticut Technical Conference match. Kaylee Gray had eight kills for Norwich Tech (9-4, 8-1) and Caitlyn Flynn had nine digs.
• Old Lyme lost to Coginchaug 3-1 in a Shoreline Conference match. Abby Speckhals had nine assists and six blocks and Maddie Hubbard had 17 digs for Old Lyme (8-6, 7-6). Coginchaug won 25-17, 20-25, 25-19, 26-24.
• Kiera Stewart had 20 assists and six aces as Bacon Academy beat Montville 3-1 in an ECC Division III match. Jen Whipple had 11 kills and eight aces for Bacon (9-4, 4-0), which won 22-25, 25-9, 25-17, 25-22. Maya Hillman had seven blocks, six kills, 13 digs and four aces to lead Montville (5-9, 1-3). Montville also got six digs, four kills and three blocks from Christyna Winstead and six assists and four digs from Abby Luyten.
• Conn College's comeback effort fell short in a 3-2 loss to Western Connecticut. Natasha Shrivastava had 41 assists, 10 digs, four kills and three blocks, Katherine Randall had 11 kills and 15 digs, Emma Wheeler had 16 kills and Julia Dailey had 21 digs for Conn (4-8). WCSU won 27-25, 25-27, 25-18, 19-25 and 15-7.
• Michael McCarthy of Mitchell College finished third in the four-team Mitchell Invite II at Schennecossett Golf Course in Groton. McCarthy shot a 74, three shots behind medalist Jonah Dupuis of Eastern Connecticut State. Mitchell's Nick Knisel was tied for fifth with a 77. ECSU won the team title with 297 and Mitchell was third at 335.
• Old Lyme/Valley/Old Saybrook beat NFA 90-78 in a nonleague meet on Tuesday night. Madelyn Beadoin won the 200-yard freestyle and 100 breaststroke for Old Lyme and teammates Loretta Cecchini and Elly Rothrock also won events. Natalie Bezanson and Dylan Levine were double winners for NFA (3-4). Bezanson won the 200 IM and 100 backstroke and Levine took the 50 freestyle and 500 freestyle.
Stories that may interest you
The Eastern Connecticut Conference anounced its football all-star teams on Sunday.