Support journalism that matters to you

Since COVID-19 impacts us all and we want everyone in our community to have the important information they need, we have decided to make all coronavirus related stories free to read on theday.com/coronavirus. While we are providing free access to articles, they are not free to produce. The newsroom is working long hours to provide you the news and information you need during this health emergency. Please consider supporting our work by subscribing or donating.

MGM discontinues talks with Wynn on Encore Boston purchase

Get the weekly rundown
Sign up to receive our weekly BizBuzz newsletter

BOSTON (AP) — MGM Resorts International says it will no longer pursue buying Encore Boston Harbor from Wynn Resorts.

MGM said Tuesday that stakeholders have concerns. It owns a casino in Springfield and wouldn't have been allowed to operate two in Massachusetts.

Wynn Resorts says it agreed to end discussions and remains "committed to opening and operating Encore Boston Harbor as only Wynn Resorts is able to do."

The $2.6 billion casino is scheduled to open next month in Everett, Mass.

State gambling regulators found Wynn executives failed to disclose allegations of sexual misconduct against company founder Steve Wynn, and levied a $35 million fine against Wynn Resorts last month while letting it keep its casino license.

The company said last month that it's focused on a successful launch of the casino now that the review is complete. Steve Wynn has denied the allegations.

 

READER COMMENTS

Loading comments...
Hide Comments

TRENDING

PODCASTS